X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any experience with Clan.com casual kilts?

It's a new year, and I find myself starting to plan for another kilt or two for regular, casual rotation.

I was browsing Clan.com, and noticed their very reasonable price one 5-yard kilts, both tartan and tweed, of about $200. USA Kilts offers a 5-yard model (I am quite pleased with mine), but it starts at $299 and goes up if you're a person of any size, such as myself.

I'm thinking of trying a tweed, or perhaps a muted tartan.

Have you tried Clan.com's kilts? How do you like it? Do you happen to have a pleat shot?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with them, but they are an advertiser here and offer a 10% discount to X-Marks members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    I have no experience with them, but they are an advertiser here and offer a 10% discount to X-Marks members.
    Shucks, I've made two orders recently (for small items, no kilts) and missed that discount code. Next time!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first real wool kilt was a Scotweb casual kilt. The price is certainly attractive. Not wanting to wear it low-waisted (like jeans), I gave them measurements so that it would fall to my knee when worn at my actual waist (just below the ribs).

Pros: quality tartan material (I got a lightweight 11 oz. fabric, since I was in Florida at the time and trying to be thrifty), sturdy (but not fancy) hardware, nicely pleated to the sett. Less fabric and lightweight tartan means it is wonderfully cool to wear in the summer or tropical climates.

Cons: no stabilizer/support material in the waistband. So the tartan itself is taking all the pressure of holding the kilt up when I strap it on. Over the years, this has led to a little stretching, so that a very careful eye an see a little distortion of the tartan around my waist area. Less fabric = less swish when I move, although no one has ever noticed or commented on that. I will say that when I got my first 8-yard kilt, the look was different and much more dressy than my 5-yarder.

I still wear this kilt regularly in the hotter months of the year. I've been using it regularly for over a decade, so it's held up quite well, especially considering the very reasonable price.

I hope this info is helpful to you.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    Cons: no stabilizer/support material in the waistband. So the tartan itself is taking all the pressure of holding the kilt up when I strap it on.
    Roger, that seems like the major way they're saving money. My USA Kilts 5-yard does have a liner and some stabilization I believe, which probably explains the higher price.

Glad to hear that your kilt is holding up even without this though, Andrew. Seems like good value for money if you can wear it for 10+ years.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know whether USA Kilts offers a discount to members, as well? I'm about to order a new jacket and vest, and wouldn't mind a discount!

Best wishes,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Shucks, I've made two orders recently (for small items, no kilts) and missed that discount code. Next time!