X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Your first guess looks most likely.

As with Thomson Camel...thought to have been designed about 40 years ago...
    Well, there it is.

I need to stress that I'm not saying that Burberry and Camel Thompson are identical, just too similar for coincidence to be likely.

The thing might not even have been consciously done, if Burberry was in "the public eye" and somebody happened to be tinkering with changing their clan tartan's colours.

They might have experimented with various different ground-colours, and when they tried camel they said "oh, that looks nice" not realising why it looked nice.

I'm guessing that Camel Stewart is around the same date and was concocted for about the same reason.

Just now searching I only found Camel Thompson, Camel Stewart, here:

and Beige Chisholm, based on the Vestiarium Scoticum Chisholm. It's obviously not piggybacking on the Burberry theme, but more of a contemporary "earth toned" theme. This tartan would be easy enough to Burberise, by making these colour shifts:

beige > white
    brown > camel
    dark grey > black

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th January 21 at 08:00 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    One way or another, I like Thomson Camel better than Burberry Check - I find it more visually interesting. And I really couldn't care less about Burberry, especially considering I hadn't even heard of them before looking into Thomson Camel. But I don't want to have people look at it and think I'm trying to associate with them when I'm not, particularly if it's well-known enough and has bad enough connotations to make a difference.

I just like the way Thomson Camel looks.
    Honestly, considering your location, I don't think most people have ever heard of any of it, just as you hadn't. This connotation is more widely known in Europe and other nations where football (soccer) is such a big deal. Here in the USA, I'd bet that 99.99% of the population wouldn't notice anything about the tartan except that they may have seen luggage or vintage clothing that looked similar.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12