X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why and how we express ourselves through Highland Wear.

I have been thinking lately, just what exactly is the reason I have been so pulled by the allure of Highland Dress,
    and why do I feel compelled to express myself in this way?

Apart from the obvious family connections, I really did not have too much in my life that would lead one down this path.

Perhaps more than some as I took to wearing a kilt at a rather young age. 11 years old I believe. Bought my first bespoke kilt at 17 or 18.
    I still have it and with some minor adjustments, still fits. Then came 20 or so years of Pipe Band involvement, a little Highland Dancing
    and some Scottish Country Dancing. That was followed by a break for 20 years as I helped to raise my family and build an advertising business.

Even in those years when I was not actively involved in bands and that culture I still defined myself as a kilt wearing Scottish Canadian.
    My people came over in 1903 and, as far as we know, my brother (a Piper) and I were the only ones that embraced our heritage to this extent.

After I retired and the family had grown up and moved away, the bug hit me again. Harder this time.
    I started making my own sporrans and other gear as I learned how. The internet and Ebay had a lot to do with the feverish collecting that followed.

I gradually started to put together outfits, as a form of artistic expression. I build things from recycled materials. They were fun to assemble and wearing them always makes me feel good.
    Just like finishing a painting, there is a great sense of accomplishment with each successful arrangement I come up with.
    I do my homework and research what I need to know before moving forward on a new project.

As for the practicality of these ventures, I do have an outlet for their use.
    My wife and I and another partner are all co-founders of an artistic hub in our community.
    A great many of the artists well as all the principals involved are, or have, Scottish connections.
    Over the last ten years or so we have continued to use our connections as a point of differentiation in our marketing. As most regulars here will tell you, wearing highland dress
    does make you stand out. The Highland culture is infused with expressions of art in all its forms and that is what we promote.

Covid 19 may have slowed us down, but it did not dampen our enthusiasm.
    This and the down time has encouraged this backlog of highland wear I present today.
    Some of it has been posted before but I was encouraged to put it together in one place in order to make it easy for interested viewers
    to reference.

This is not meant as a guide so much, but merely an offering of how one artist expresses his shared culture.

Part A - Casual to smart day wear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Style

Hi
    I like your individual style and you have obviously created a whole wardrobe of stuff that goes well together. Only two comments. I hate the fashions that are rooted in Victoriana view of what the well dressed Scottish gentleman should wear. I prefere to see men that develop their own style and you clearly you have done this. So. . . . Get rid of the Kilt pin it is a useless Victorian 'thing' (I hate all of them). In some of the pictures you are not wearing 'it' and they look better. more natural. Okay if you do have a badge that means something specific to you like a regimental badge or association then okay but wear it a bit higher nearer the waist. My second observation. The white hose. Nice patters but dye them cream or green or give them away to your worst enemy but please dont wear white! I think all white socks or knitted hose look out of place.

irrespective of my comments I commend you for developing your own style. Well done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanthetraveller View Post
    Hi
    I prefere to see men that develop their own style and you clearly you have done this. So. . . . Get rid of the Kilt pin it is a useless Victorian 'thing' (I hate all of them).
    If he did that, though, he could be doing your thing.

FWIW I feel pretty much the same way about flashes.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your feed back Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by brendanthetraveller View Post
    Hi
    I like your individual style and you have obviously created a whole wardrobe of stuff that goes well together. Only two comments. I hate the fashions that are rooted in Victoriana view of what the well dressed Scottish gentleman should wear. I prefere to see men that develop their own style and you clearly you have done this. So. . . . Get rid of the Kilt pin it is a useless Victorian 'thing' (I hate all of them). In some of the pictures you are not wearing 'it' and they look better. more natural. Okay if you do have a badge that means something specific to you like a regimental badge or association then okay but wear it a bit higher nearer the waist. My second observation. The white hose. Nice patters but dye them cream or green or give them away to your worst enemy but please dont wear white! I think all white socks or knitted hose look out of place.

irrespective of my comments I commend you for developing your own style. Well done

Actually, those are beige / oatmeal coloured hose.( Bad Lighting I guess.) I had enough of the white hose back in the 70s when we all wore them on the field.

Thanks again for your thoughts, much appreciated.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yes they are your personal interpretations of kilt attire of that no one, least of all me, can deny. However, I am left with the feeling that your artistic leanings are leading you into the realms of the theatrical which, in the long run, is unhelpful as a guide to those starting out on the kilt attire road. I say this kindly, but, keeping people’s “ feet on the ground”, particularly newcomers to kilt attire, is difficult enough already without being led astray by pictures, wonderful though they may be, such as yours. Sorry.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Day Jock!

You do have a point there Jock. Thank you for your comments.

My intention was not to influence or side track anyone so much as present the collections of one artist...but your point is taken.

I totally agree that people new to highland wear might be better served to learn how to walk before they run, so to speak.

My perspective is somewhat different having 6 decades plus experience on this side of the water in highland wear, and being someone rather theatrical by nature.
    Hopefully at this age some flamboyance might be forgiven. Kind of like that (mid-life) sports car some of us craved. If it doesn't kill us, what's the harm?

As you have often stated, and rightly so, it is equally important, the context in which we wear what we wear, as well as when we wear it.

You are absolutely correct.

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    You do have a point there Jock. Thank you for your comments.

My intention was not to influence or side track anyone so much as present the collections of one artist...but your point is taken.

I totally agree that people new to highland wear might be better served to learn how to walk before they run, so to speak.

My perspective is somewhat different having 6 decades plus experience on this side of the water in highland wear, and being someone rather theatrical by nature.
    Hopefully at this age some flamboyance might be forgiven. Kind of like that (mid-life) sports car some of us craved. If it doesn't kill us, what's the harm?

As you have often stated, and rightly so, it is equally important, the context in which we wear what we wear, as well as when we wear it.

You are absolutely correct.
    Phew! Thank you for considering my post with understanding, as I had hoped that you might. There are some here that could have reacted in a very different way!

Six decades wearing the kilt eh? Well done you. I am nearly a couple of decades ahead of you!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th January 21 at 09:41 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: