X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P/m Crease follow up

Today on the piping press editor Robert Wallace released the full showing of the newly formed Royal Scots Dragoon Guards "parade" which can be seen here

word of caution the sound is a plit second or two behind the action: https://pipingpress.com/2021/01/13/f...their-success/

Enjoy

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of PM Crease's passing. What a talented piper, who led the pipes to their zenith of popularity.

That video is superb!

Great tone from the pipes, especially for that era.

I love the drum setting for Highland Laddie, which I suppose would be regarded as being "too busy" today.

BTW at 6:56 they show a closeup of the ornate crossbelt the Pipe Major of the Royal Scots Greys/Royal Scots Dragoon Guards has long worn. It's actually a civilian pattern from the 1930s (or thereabouts) which was made en suite as a sporran cantle, crossbelt and waistbelt hardware, and plaid brooch.

(Here's my set.)

There were at least two permutations of that design; here's the less elegant knotwork-only version.

Last edited by OC Richard; Yesterday at 06:24 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, that is a beautiful set for sure! Wonderful detail.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great video. Right at the beginning the announcer repeats the oft cited and completely incorrect statement that Government deemed the pipes a Weapon of War following the failure of the '45.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    the oft cited and completely incorrect statement that Government deemed the pipes a Weapon of War following the failure of the '45.
    Having read some of your writings on the subject (and in the wider context of the Act of Proscription 1746 etc) I suspect some of the myths associated with this are due to a combination of "shorthand", misreading (misunderstanding) of the law and over-simplification to the point of incorrectness - I still see this happening today with new legislation - and perhaps a little bit of embroidery to sex things up and tell a better story.

Great video, nevertheless.