X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P/m Crease follow up

Today on the piping press editor Robert Wallace released the full showing of the newly formed Royal Scots Dragoon Guards "parade" which can be seen here

word of caution the sound is a plit second or two behind the action: https://pipingpress.com/2021/01/13/f...their-success/

Enjoy

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of PM Crease's passing. What a talented piper, who led the pipes to their zenith of popularity.

That video is superb!

Great tone from the pipes, especially for that era.

I love the drum setting for Highland Laddie, which I suppose would be regarded as being "too busy" today.

BTW at 6:56 they show a closeup of the ornate crossbelt the Pipe Major of the Royal Scots Greys/Royal Scots Dragoon Guards has long worn. It's actually a civilian pattern from the 1930s (or thereabouts) which was made en suite as a sporran cantle, crossbelt and waistbelt hardware, and plaid brooch.

(Here's my set.)

There were at least two permutations of that design; here's the less elegant knotwork-only version.

Last edited by OC Richard; 19th January 21 at 06:24 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, that is a beautiful set for sure! Wonderful detail.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great video. Right at the beginning the announcer repeats the oft cited and completely incorrect statement that Government deemed the pipes a Weapon of War following the failure of the '45.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    the oft cited and completely incorrect statement that Government deemed the pipes a Weapon of War following the failure of the '45.
    Having read some of your writings on the subject (and in the wider context of the Act of Proscription 1746 etc) I suspect some of the myths associated with this are due to a combination of "shorthand", misreading (misunderstanding) of the law and over-simplification to the point of incorrectness - I still see this happening today with new legislation - and perhaps a little bit of embroidery to sex things up and tell a better story.

Great video, nevertheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter you would know better than I where to look to verify this but, the story I was told was that only one piper was captured at the '45 uprising. His name I believe was Robert Reid. He was sent back to England to be tried. At his "trial" his defense was he was playing his pipes at the request of the clan chief; to which it was either an attorney or a judge stated since his clan took part in the battle and was led by his playing the pipes are a weapon of war. Poor piper Reid was swinging from the gallows by sunset. If in fact this is what happened the judiciary being part of the government - hence the government declared the pipes a weapon of war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Peter you would know better than I where to look to verify this but, the story I was told was that only one piper was captured at the '45 uprising. His name I believe was Robert Reid. He was sent back to England to be tried. At his "trial" his defense was he was playing his pipes at the request of the clan chief; to which it was either an attorney or a judge stated since his clan took part in the battle and was led by his playing the pipes are a weapon of war. Poor piper Reid was swinging from the gallows by sunset. If in fact this is what happened the judiciary being part of the government - hence the government declared the pipes a weapon of war.
    From:https://bagpipe.news/2020/04/08/jame...ero-of-the-45/

"James Reid was then tried, whom the witneffes for the Crown plainly proved to have engaged with the Rebels, and to have acted as a Piper to a Rebel Regiment, tho’ it did not appear that he had ever carried any Arms; upon which he was recommended to Mercy by the Jury. The Court obferved upon this, that every Perfon who joined any Set of People engaged in an open Rebellion, tho’ they did not bear Arms, they were guilty of High Treafon; that no Regiments ever marched without Mufical Inftruments, as Drums, Trumpets, or the like; and that in an Highland Regiment there was no Moving without a Piper, and therefore his Bagpipe, in the Eye of the Law, was an Inftrument of War. The Jury upon this would have retracted their Recommendation, but the Court told them, it muft not now be permitted — Guilty. Then the Court adjourned to Saturday."

"It would appear that the decision to hang Reid was made by the court at York in isolation and not under any official directive."
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 24th January 21 at 02:58 PM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Bruce Scott!! Now we know which government agency coined the phrase " instrument of war."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen references to other pipers that were captured during the '45.

However, perhaps a salient point regarding Reid (if the references are accurate - one I saw was to a report in theCaledonian Mercury of November 25, 1746) is that he was he was tried and executed for high treason - not under The Act of Proscription 1746 (which came into force on 1 August that year, a few months before Reid's trial but a long time after his capture at Carlisle the previous year) and in any event the penalties for offences under that Act were fines (with imprisonment or forced conscription for non-payment) and transportation for repeat offenders.
    Last edited by Tomo; 21st January 21 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    If in fact this is what happened the judiciary being part of the government - hence the government declared the pipes a weapon of war.
    I disagree with this interpretation. Judges had considerable leeway in the way in which the interpreted the law and imposed penalties. That does not mean that something was necessarily government policy. In this case, there was no definition in law of the pipes being an equivalent of carrying arms and one example does not make Case Law in the British penal system.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast