X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harris Tweed Kingussie?

I’m finally starting to make the 3 yards, of double width Harris Tweed, that I bought in 2013, into a kilt, for myself.
    Has anyone made a Kingussie pleated kilt, from Harris Tweed?
    I’m thinking that the softer hand might ( and the fact that it doesn’t hold a pressing as well) mean that the pleats would be more likely to get “tangled “, and end up making a messy looking kilt.
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having made reverse Kingussie kilts for some time now, and used some fairly unsuitable fabrics, I found that being careful to get the pleats exactly right and manipulated so that they tended to hang correctly would result in self correcting folds in most cases, and that it was the harder woven fabrics which were the most unruly if improperly placed.

In my early attempts had many an edge on the aprons roll outwards, and found that lifting the inner fold of the deep pleats beneath the aprons about 1/4 of an inch so there was a slender triangle visible behind the apron pulled that pleat into its proper situation.

I suspect that the reverse kingussie is most suited to being worn out in the wilds - the pleats all facing backwards fold over each other like a bird's wing, and do not snag on the vegetation - but in more civilised surroundings that might not be any problem at all.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no help, but I'd love to see pictures as you go along.