X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to weather a tartan without damaging it?

Recently I purchased something on a lark.... and even though it was cheap and made in Pakistan (which was the reason for my purchase) the photos made me believe the tartan was more “weathered” than it was.

Now, don’t get me wrong, the colours are deep and rich and quite lovely, but I was hoping for something that look more... umm... ancient or weathered.

I just wonder if there’s any good way to artificially “weather” the cloth (which is probably acrylic) without damaging it.... Bleach? I’m a bit scared of doing it... but maybe it would work?

Has anyone tried anything like this as a project, and if so, how did it go?

Added pix of the tartan just to give some idea of what I got.

Thanks everyone! :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acrylic tends to be dyed in the wool - as it were - the colour being added to the molten mixture before it is squirt out to form the yarn.

Dyes do tend to fade when subjected to washing with a detergent intended for whites, or when wet and dried off in full sun, but I suspect that it would take some time for any great alteration and I would not recommend bleach, particularly chlorine bleach as I suspect it would do damage to the fibres.

I think that the best course of action would be to sell on your over vibrant purchase and look for something more like the colours you hoped for.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I think that the best course of action would be to sell on your over vibrant purchase and look for something more like the colours you hoped for.
    Absolutely agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the photo was inaccurate then the goods may well have been misdescribed. In Britain they can therefore be returned for a full refund, but I don't know whether this might apply in this case.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question of weathering fabric would be best addressed on a site like The RPF.

It's a chat forum dedicated to costuming and props and the subject of weathering various materials comes up nearly every day.

The members there have vast experience is ageing/weathering pretty much anything and will be able to share how to weather your particular fabric.

Also there are very many YouTube videos concerning weathering fabrics, by people who do it professionally as well as by experienced hobbyists, if you don't want to visit The RPF.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Yes, that is incredibly helpful. I’ll check out that avenue.

As I’ve said, it’s not that I’m upset over what I ended up receiving... it’s very, very wearable and looks rather nice. I’ve already worn it at least once. But I’m also open to experimentation provided that there’s a reasonable chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I think the question of weathering fabric would be best addressed on a site like The RPF.

It's a chat forum dedicated to costuming and props and the subject of weathering various materials comes up nearly every day.

The members there have vast experience is ageing/weathering pretty much anything and will be able to share how to weather your particular fabric.

Also there are very many YouTube videos concerning weathering fabrics, by people who do it professionally as well as by experienced hobbyists, if you don't want to visit The RPF.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had over the years of making kilts from whatever came to hand, a couple which did become what could be termed weathered, rather like tired is used for rather drunk - but I suspect that it was down to the material being revealed as very shoddy or the dyes being bleached by the sun particularly after being out in the rain. I expect that is how the original fabrics altered over time and then weavers were asked to duplicate an old garment and the weathered colours became established options, like faded and prewashed jeans.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anne's last comment on faded, prewashed (and it may be added, "distressed") jeans, brought to mind, the rather interesting, perhaps odd, option to purchase new electric guitars and basses from several makers, "factory-relic-ed" and even "heavily relic-ed."

Intent is allowing the purchaser to possess an instrument which appears to have been long-and-heavily played, having suffered the ravages of time, "road wear" and "battle damage," without having to put in the playing time / effort-"dues-paying," oneself.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to James Hood For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hood View Post
    Anne's last comment on faded, prewashed (and it may be added, "distressed") jeans, brought to mind, the rather interesting, perhaps odd, option to purchase new electric guitars and basses from several makers, "factory-relic-ed" and even "heavily relic-ed."

Intent is allowing the purchaser to possess an instrument which appears to have been long-and-heavily played, having suffered the ravages of time, "road wear" and "battle damage," without having to put in the playing time / effort-"dues-paying," oneself.
    OTOH... once the playing begins, this fact will likely become painfully obvious...
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hood View Post

When I was in my youth, I would wear my jeans until it was no longer.... "decent" to do so. Hole-y jeans were quite the fad, and we took it as a matter of pride to come by the look "authentically." I was once accused of having used a razor-blade to shred my jeans, to which I took great offense. Obviously, to my young mind, this would take the honor out of it.

That said, I am entirely disgusted at the "relic" job when it comes to guitars. Why on earth would someone pay another person to wreck their a thousand-dollar (or worse) instrument? I try to remember "to each their own," but I just can't stop myself when it comes to promoting this nonsense.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast