X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think many in Scotland have never seen a utilikilt and probably don't even know that they exist! Those that might know what they are, would probably not wear them anyway due to cultural constraints. I am guessing of course, but I suspect that I am not that far out.

What the traditional longtime kilt wearer here tends to do is wear the newer kilt to smarter events and keep their worn 40 year old kilt-------assuming that they can still fit in it------ for things like mowing the lawn but rarely anything more boisterous than that. Just so you know, I have only ever seen three, perhaps four, utility style kilts in Scotland in some four score years, so, a rare sight here.
    Thanks fir the feedback!

Utilikilts are not the mainstream here in America either, but neither are any kilts for that matter...

They exist but are rare. I do my own thing though and the utility kilts seem to fit my needs for moderate physical labor.

I have gotten to regard the fashion sense of others with less regard as it pertains to what I am wearing...

Later,
    John L>
    Last edited by Hologenicman; 20th February 21 at 11:02 AM.
    John A. Latimer: USAF veteran, Father of five, Hospital worker

Just Enjoying Life... :)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologenicman View Post

Utilikilts are not the mainstream here in America...They exist but are rare.
    As I've mentioned I've worked at Disneyland (California) for many years and seeing men in Utilikilts had become common enough that it no longer got much attention.

Seeing a man in a Utilikilt became a daily thing, or at the very least a few times a week.

And the Utilikilt wearers were part of that "fashion culture" with certain styles of grooming, footwear, etc.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    As I've mentioned I've worked at Disneyland (California) for many years and seeing men in Utilikilts had become common enough that it no longer got much attention.

Seeing a man in a Utilikilt became a daily thing, or at the very least a few times a week.

And the Utilikilt wearers were part of that "fashion culture" with certain styles of grooming, footwear, etc.
    That is most excellent to hear!

I live in a fairly sheltered small town in the Southwest corner of Washington State that may properly be described as living in the sticks.

I am sure it will filter it's way to becoming more popular here or at least not very noticeable s you mentioned...

Just not yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tourism does seem to be the biggest "work" application for a kilt so far...
    Easiest job in the world - until you have to do it.

Although as I said for me it's a secondary occupation, so I only do a handful of tours a year (mainly in Scotland and school trips to other parts of the UK, but some here in Estonia). Still taken a big hit this year. Not so bad for me, but my wife earns far more from her guiding work than she does from her primary occupation as a teacher. She usually does tours to the UK, Lapland, Siberia, Mongolia and Cuba (among other places) - all cancelled this year - apart from some hiking trips to Finland. So prob. lost about 60% (or more) of her income. Hoping this year is better - esp. as we already have many summer tours that are sold out.
    Last edited by Tomo; 21st February 21 at 11:03 AM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came to full time kilt wearing from a work event. We had a Heritage Night where we were encouraged to wear the costume and bring in food and music from our Heritage. I wore my dad's old kilt and sporran and brought in homemade shortbread, steak pie and haggis. The shortbread and steak pie were a big hit, and I ate Haggis for a week. Everyone asked when I was going to wear it again. So once or twice a week I'd wear my kilt, I then ordered one, and my twin brother gave me one in our clan tartan that he was married in as he said he would never wear it again.

I started wearing the kilt daily and collecting bits of kit as I could. For the first year I ordered a new kilt every month. It got really expensive but I purchased as many cheap kilt hose as I could to give me lots of choice. I would later see that purchasing quality kilt was a better idea. Now that we are in quarantine and I am working from home, I can wear what I like and so I wear the kilt.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Easiest job in the world - until you have to do it.

Although as I said for me it's a secondary occupation, so I only do a handful of tours a year (mainly in Scotland and school trips to other parts of the UK, but some here in Estonia). Still taken a big hot this year. Not so bad for me, but my wife earns far more from her guiding work than she does from her primary occupation as a teacher. She usually does tours to the UK, Lapland, Siberia, Mongolia and Cuba (among other places) - all cancelled this year - apart from some hiking trips to Finland. So prob. lost about 60% (or more) of her income). Hoping this year is better - esp. as we already have many summer tours that are sold out.
    Yes, many took a hard hit with Covid, but Inexpect tourism took an especially hard hit.

My ladyfriend and I had travel and touring plans for last year that entirely disappeared with the precautions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I came to full time kilt wearing from a work event. We had a Heritage Night where we were encouraged to wear the costume and bring in food and music from our Heritage. I wore my dad's old kilt and sporran and brought in homemade shortbread, steak pie and haggis. The shortbread and steak pie were a big hit, and I ate Haggis for a week. Everyone asked when I was going to wear it again. So once or twice a week I'd wear my kilt, I then ordered one, and my twin brother gave me one in our clan tartan that he was married in as he said he would never wear it again.

I started wearing the kilt daily and collecting bits of kit as I could. For the first year I ordered a new kilt every month. It got really expensive but I purchased as many cheap kilt hose as I could to give me lots of choice. I would later see that purchasing quality kilt was a better idea. Now that we are in quarantine and I am working from home, I can wear what I like and so I wear the kilt.
    Sounds like an expensive habit

My first kilt hose and belt were from my ladyfriend. But after that I purchased a weeks worth of hose and two leather sporran as well as ordered another utility kilt from a different manufacturer. Then I ordered another two utility kilts at a discount from a company that was going out of business...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this on Ebay and thought of this thread

Where was it- Denver Colorado? I don't remember. There was a construction firm called something like Kilted Construction and their entire crew worked in kilts. Not sure, but probably Utilikilts.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a fairly sheltered small town in the Southwest corner of Washington State that may properly be described as living in the sticks.
    I have an old friend in Brush Prairie. He plays banjo. Yes it can properly be described as you say!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123