X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hologenicman View Post
    I will check out the UDA Kilt casual.

I have an Angry Bastard Warhorse Kilt ordered already...

John L>
    The big thing about the USAK Casual is that it looks the part of a traditional kilt. That AB Warhorse looks somewhat similar to the Utilikilt Workman I own, which I like for construction etc. But for daily wear, I'd much rather be wearing a tartan kilt. Plus, they're quite a bit cheaper at $100-150 for a kilt made in the USA with Scottish cloth.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like always, I do, whatever I do, kilted. I don't wear a kilt for or avoid for, anything specific. If I get up and it's a kilt day - then it's a kilt day. If it's a jean day, it's a jean day no matter what I'm doing. Since I only wear my clan kilts it doesn't matter what I'm doing, if it's time for a kilt, it's time.
    Steve
    Clans MacDonald & MacKay
    In the Highlands of Colorado.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to pastorsteve For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I requested that a kilt should be included as part of the Morris kit my side wears.
    Anne the Pleater
    As an American who has followed English football for many years, it's cool to see you use those English sporting terms so unfamiliar to most here in the US.

The American translation would be "part of the Morris uniform my team wears".

It reminds me of the English football match we were watching which featured one side in shirts lacking players' numbers or names.

What had happened was that prior to the match the match official had declared "kit clash". The solution was for the home side to go to the club shop and grab all the shirts of a particular type (supporters' shirts, not one of the club's authentic kits) and play the match in them.

This is inconceivable in the US. For example in baseball every team has a white uniform worn for home games and a grey uniform worn for road games. It dates back to when teams on the road couldn't wash their uniforms.

In the NFL each team has a uniform in team colours and a white uniform.

Thus there can never be kit clash, and you know at a glance who is the home team. (In England clubs often wear their home kit away, if it contrasts well with the home side's home kit.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th February 21 at 05:05 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many out there work in a kilt?
    Generally I only wear kilts when I'm working. When I'm not working there's no reason to dress up.

Here I am at work.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Generally I only wear kilts when I'm working. When I'm not working there's no reason to dress up.

Here I am at work.

Very nice!

I have the opposite situation...
    John A. Latimer: USAF veteran, Father of five, Hospital worker

Just Enjoying Life... :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my kilt for work when guiding in Scotland (a secondary occupation).

This is how I dress when I meet my guests. I always welcome them with a wee dram.

Although I don't wear a kilt throughout the trip it does make an appearance on some of the hikes.

I also wear a kilt at travel fairs - it certainly stands out here in Estonia when most other operators are in "team" polo shirts, sports jackets or suits - and at our local farmer's market where I make and sell a range of "Scottish" inspired jams (Bramble & Whisky being a firm favourite - and recently copied by a local jam producer!!)

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I suppose, there is work and then there is physical work. As a farmer I am quite used to the physical side of work and for that I have never worn the kilt working out and about on the farm. However, I do wear the kilt fairly regularly whilst in the office and just enjoying myself in the countryside but still "working."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009 3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	39811 In the office.

Name:	WGN_1191.jpg 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	39812 Glassing the hill.

Name:	WGN_1206.jpg 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	39813Posting a letter.

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	39814Heading home after some light rule 11 stuff.

Name:	035.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	39815But, no kilt when this is going on!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th February 21 at 04:21 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I wear my kilt for work when guiding in Scotland (a secondary occupation).

This is how I dress when I meet my guests. I always welcome them with a wee dram.

Although I don't wear a kilt throughout the trip it does make an appearance on some of the hikes.

I also wear a kilt at travel fairs - it certainly stands out here in Estonia when most other operators are in "team" polo shirts, sports jackets or suits - and at our local farmer's market where I make and sell a range of "Scottish" inspired jams (Bramble & Whisky being a firm favourite - and recently copied by a local jam producer!!)

Tourism does seem to be the biggest "work" application for a kilt so far...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well I suppose, there is work and then there is physical work. As a farmer I am quite used to the physical side of work and for that I have never worn the kilt working out and about on the farm. However, I do wear the kilt fairly regularly whilst in the office and just enjoying myself in the countryside but still "working."

Name:	009 3.jpg 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	39811 In the office.

Name:	WGN_1191.jpg 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	39812 Glassing the hill.

Name:	WGN_1206.jpg 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	39813Posting a letter.

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	39814Heading home after some light rule 11 stuff.

Name:	035.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	39815But, no kilt when this is going on!
    Yeah, I find the kilt does not work well for anything where I am climbing or crawling around. But I tend to find a kilt perfect for physical activities such as chopping and hauling firewood or digging holes and such; much less restrictive.

Then Again, I wear a utility kilt and not a dress kilt...

I do have an interest in a great kilt for utility use as well with the thought that it was used in the days of hard physucal work and activity.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I find the kilt does not work well for anything where I am climbing or crawling around. But I tend to find a kilt perfect for physical activities such as chopping and hauling firewood or digging holes and such; much less restrictive.

Then Again, I wear a utility kilt and not a dress kilt...

I do have an interest in a great kilt for utility use as well with the thought that it was used in the days of hard physucal work and activity.
    I think many in Scotland have never seen a utilikilt and probably don't even know that they exist! Those that might know what they are, would probably not wear them anyway due to cultural constraints. I am guessing of course, but I suspect that I am not that far out.

What the traditional longtime kilt wearer here tends to do is wear the newer kilt to smarter events and keep their worn 40 year old kilt-------assuming that they can still fit in it------ for things like mowing the lawn but rarely anything more boisterous than that. Just so you know, I have only ever seen three, perhaps four, utility style kilts in Scotland in some four score years, so, a rare sight here.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th February 21 at 07:47 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast