X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kilt Pin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
    As for the topic I've done plenty of lost wax casting. Never a kilt pin but I've done a few rings and mostly car parts. Actually built a home foundry and have started casting custom aluminum parts. Now you guys got me thinking I need to cast a pin, gee thanks a-holes more unpaid work lmao
    I've not done lost wax casting due to the equipment involved (a lot of which is not cheap) but I started casting jewelry by moulding with potter's clay (very inexpensive) and a cheap ($5) set of tools. I make my design in the clay, bake it in the oven to harden and then do a light sanding if needed. Once I have my clay piece, it's just a matter of making the mould in the greensand, melting the metal (I use brass and bronze) and pouring it in the mould. After that I clean it up (remove sprue etc. ) and tumble it and I'm done. I learned everything online, mostly youtube videos.

That being said, the one kilt pin I made was not cast, but made from a deer antler I found. I cut off 3" of the tip, polished it with linseed oil, routed a channel on the back side with my dremel and epoxied a pin I bought at a craft store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that deer antler sounds very nice. I may have to keep an eye for one myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage kilt-pin

This is something that has so far eluded identity.

It is a sterling silver kilt-pin that appears to be made from round wire that has been flattened to take the engraving, which reads 'Platoon Comptn. Xmas. 1915' The lack of hall-marks suggest it is a specially-commissioned one-off piece, and not for retail, but the engraving is intriguing.

The word platoon suggests an obvious military connection, but what has evaded identification so far has been which platoon of what regiment, and what was the competition. It was common for commanding officers to put up a prize for the men, which would explain the lack of hall-marking, but Christmas 1915 it telling. A regiment of the line would have been in the thick of the Great War in France at that time, and the kilt-pin prize suggests one of the kilted Highland regiments, awarded to an individual.

It is possible that the pin was a prize at a school with a Territorial Army connection to the Highlanders, but a silver kilt-pin seems too extravagant for that.

If the platoon was on active service, albeit down the line on R&R and with the unofficial truce being observed, but what could the competiton have been? Arm-wrestling? Cross-country running? German-shooting..?

Anyone have an idea..?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage kilt-pin

I forgot to add the photo..!

Here we go -

DSCF3044a.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish had some input, all I can say is what a beautiful pin. How did you come in possession of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it on eBay a few years ago, and got it for the opening bid of £0.99..!

The seller had no idea what it was, nor where it came from - but it was black with tarnish when I received it. A gentle buff over with a silver cloth dealt with that in no time.

It looks a simple, but attractive design that could be easily replicated at no great cost - it weighs 3/8oz (12) grammes and measures 3/4in x 3 3/8in (20mm x 85mm). The wire guage is about 0.10in (2.5mm) but is slightly wider where it has been flattened.

Jewellry-making supplies show that the amount of wire neede for such a pin would be less than £15 ($20 US) at today's prices. I imagine a silversmith who knows their craft could fashion one in a matter of minutes - perhaps four or five an hour.

There must be an enterprising silversmith out there who could take on the task...

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12