X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw this out as another option, if you require custom-sized hose for your calves:

https://www.sallypointer.com/product...kilt-stockings

I purchased two pair of their hose a few years ago, and found them to be extremely soft, comfortable, and well-made. For the price, I was pleased. They are just plain knit hose with plain unadorned cuffs. That was what I wanted: just a simple pair of kilt hose. They are ideal for casual kilt wear.

They only make these kilt hose to order, and will accommodate custom size/shape requirements. At their price point of £27.00 (roughly $37 US at today's exchange rate), they are about halfway in between the 'cheap' kilt hose and the higher brands like House of Cheviot. You may just have to wait a while for your order. I will definitely be ordering more of them in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    One thing I hear fairly regularly from new kilters here and elsewhere is "my socks don't stay up". There is no real ability for ANY kilt hose to stay up on their own, especially if your moving about. You MUST have some securing method at the top of your calf muscle. Traditionally theses were knitted garter ties, leather buckled garter straps, or more modernly- elastic flashes.
    This is very true, in my experience. I don't wear hose without flashes. Even if my flashes are loose, my hose fall down my calves. If my hose are not up above my calf muscles and closer to my knees so the flashes are in a narrow spot, they fall down. Flashes/garter ties/ribbons/etc. are most definitely a functional item for kilt hose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12