X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from metro Chicago.

Sounds as though you are having fun with your research.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to James Hood For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the condolences, folks, really! I'm working through it, as you do, and delving into the heritage side has helped considerably. In my studies last night I found a connection from Gilkison>Gilkreson>Gilkison>Gilchrist> Clan Machlachlan so I have more tartans to look through for my eventual collection.

I've currently got my eye on 3 or 4 from each clan, Stewart and Maclachlan, plus half a dozen universals that I really like. My fiancé's gonna kilt me😂🤣

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DergtheBeardedandKilted View Post
    -------------------- In my studies last night I found a connection from Gilkison>Gilkreson>Gilkison>Gilchrist> Clan Machlachlan so I have more tartans to look through for my eventual collection.

I've currently got my eye on 3 or 4 from each clan, Stewart and Maclachlan, plus half a dozen universals that I really like. My fiancé's gonna kilt me����
    If I may, can I give you a wee something to think about?

Many(most?) of us in Scotland have many tartans from many Clans to choose from, but generally we choose just the one and that is usually our fathers, but not always. Why? Well, for three reasons.

1. Its just the way we do it. It can just solve certain inter Clan issues of the past. Whilst assorted major Clan issues have been put to bed centuries ago the occasional raised eyebrow from some does still occur and usually it happens-----if it happens---- at a most in-opportune moment!

2. It solves space in the wardrobe and eases attire choices. Whilst matching of colours is not an issue with kilt attire, there are some colours that go better together than others. We also refrain from mixing differing Clan tartans.

3. Its much less expensive just to have one tartan. Buy one tartan and the best kilt attire you can afford to go with it and be happy with that.

What you decide to do is, of course, entirely your choice, but...........
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th January 21 at 05:19 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    If I may, can I give you a wee something to think about?

Many(most?) of us in Scotland have many tartans from many Clans to choose from, but generally we choose just the one and that is usually our fathers, but not always. Why? Well, for three reasons.

1. Its just the way we do it. It can just solve certain inter Clan issues of the past. Whilst assorted major Clan issues have been put to bed centuries ago the occasional raised eyebrow from some does still occur and usually it happens-----if it happens---- at a most in-opportune moment!

2. It solves space in the wardrobe and eases attire choices. Whilst matching of colours is not an issue with kilt attire, there are some colours that go better together than others. We also refrain from mixing differing Clan tartans.

3. Its much less expensive just to have one tartan. Buy the best kilt attire you can afford and be happy with that.

What you decide to do is, of course, entirely your choice, but...........
    I'm angling toward serial kilting, so I'm sure I'll end up with a number of utility kilts, pv and wool kilts, and maybe a great kilt or two...they're incredibly comfortable and since I stopped work to take custody of my son, I've found that blue jeans are awfully uncomfortable lol

The reason for my indecisiveness about tartans is because I don't have any connection to my father's side of the family and no knowledge of descent. That and, if I know I'll likely end up with a number of them, I might as well wear any tartan that speaks to me if it's a Uni or if I'm affiliated.

Likely if I'm going formal, it would be in my clan tartan of choice, the rest would be for casual/nice-casual.

That's one of the things I like about kilts and tartans is the variety of styles and accessories. I've never really been one to get into clothing or plan what I wear, so this is all a bit new and exciting

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DergtheBeardedandKilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to chose

My current kilts are both utility kilts, they are comfy and enjoyable to wear especially when working from home. I don't worry so much about keeping the pleats pristine in a ripstop utility kilt! haven't purchased a tartan kilt yet. One of my kilts is a plaid but as they say not all plaids are tartans. I'm new to it so eventually I will buy a good quality proper tartan. My family name is english so no help there in selecting. The Clan associated with my paternal grandmother is Scott whereas the clan associated with Maternal grandmother is Grant. I have always felt much more affinity to that side of the family than to my father's. . . so, I'll likely end up purchasing a kilt in one of the Grant tartans (plus the Grants were a highland clan and sound like total bad asses, LOL). I just recently joined the Clan Grant Society.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

1. Its just the way we do it. It can just solve certain inter-Clan issues of the past...

2. It solves space in the wardrobe and eases attire choices...

3. Its much less expensive just to have one tartan. Buy one tartan and the best kilt attire you can afford to go with it and be happy with that.
    Much wisdom there!

The recent explosion in new tartans (fashion tartans, UK District tartans, various National tartans, Irish County tartans, US State tartans, etc) has given us too many choices perhaps.

I know there are people who own 100 kilts! Personally I don't understand it.

Rather than spreading money thinly on a large number of kilts I think it better to get one top-notch handsewn 100% wool kilt and then begin investing in high-quality accessories such as a jacket, waistcoat, sporran, hose, and bonnet.

A person can only wear one outfit at a time, after all!

About my own tartan choices, I've worn Isle Of Skye for several years now. Having recently found Stewart ancestry on my Father's side I got a Hunting Stewart Weathered kilt, in tweed. There are many other UK, Irish, and US tartans I could wear but there's something nice about sticking with the family heritage.

Here's my new Hunting Stewart Weathered tweed kilt. I really don't have any desire for another kilt.

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th January 21 at 06:04 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Much wisdom there!

The recent explosion in new tartans (fashion tartans, UK District tartans, various National tartans, Irish County tartans, US State tartans, etc) has given us too many choices perhaps.

I know there are people who own 100 kilts! Personally I don't understand it.

Rather than spreading money thinly on a large number of kilts I think it better to get one top-notch handsewn 100% wool kilt and then begin investing in high-quality accessories such as a jacket, waistcoat, sporran, hose, and bonnet.

A person can only wear one outfit at a time, after all!

About my own tartan choices, I've worn Isle Of Skye for several years now. Having recently found Stewart ancestry on my Father's side I got a Hunting Stewart Weathered kilt, in tweed. There are many other UK, Irish, and US tartans I could wear but there's something nice about sticking with the family heritage.

Here's my new Hunting Stewart Weathered tweed kilt. I really don't have any desire for another kilt.

I really like that Weathered tartan! I may get one eventually. I can't speak really for everyone else, but for me, the draw to have multiple kilts is partially because of the expense, I can have nice looking PV kilts in the short term, learning how to properly take care of them without risking a 1000 dollar custom weave or a nice 8 yard wool kilt or what-have-you.

And being that I want to be able to wear a kilt daily, having multiples seems kinda logical, gives them time to air out and wrinkles to fall out somewhat, in between uses, and for variety of future casual outfits, . Also having a variety allows me to plan for the day, given the weather in Tennessee some days, and the fact that some days I may be dabbling in the forge, or going to town for whatever...

We also like to go cruising and that will mean wanting to pack a few outfits, and if I'm kilting 90% I would want to plan for a utility, a casual/semi trad(to use USA kilts terminology) for going drinking or to shows or dinner most nights, and then either a semi trad or a wool kilt for formal nights or trips to one of the black tie restaurants.

As Americans we get a little caught up with the need to launder our clothing, and not wanting to appear to be wearing the same thing for days at a time.

It also occurs to me that I'll likely want a kilt or two for sentimental reasons, custom weaves or something, potentially the Lupus awareness tartan for my future mother-in-law...
    I dunno I just love the garment and the varieties mean I'll eventually be able to decide what kilt I want to wear, as well as what to wear with my kilt.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DergtheBeardedandKilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like that Weathered tartan! I may get one eventually. I can't speak really for everyone else, but for me, the draw to have multiple kilts is partially because of the expense, I can have nice looking PV kilts in the short term, learning how to properly take care of them without risking a 1000 dollar custom weave or a nice 8 yard wool kilt or what-have-you.
    This is, in my mind, a valid point. One thing that I think is sometimes a barrier getting into kilts is the fact that they're a made-to-your-measurements garment for guys who in many cases have no idea how to measure themselves. And if you don't know anyone who knows how to measure for a kilt, you can measure yourself following kiltmakers' directions to a "T" and still mess it up because you're not used to the fit and don't know how it's actually worn. For me, I like to wear my kilts *way* higher than I ever expected, and they're much more comfortable that way. But it means the first kilt I ordered was much too short. So I'm all for low-cost experimentation before diving into having an expensive heirloom-quality tank made that doesn't actually fit.

And being that I want to be able to wear a kilt daily, having multiples seems kinda logical, gives them time to air out and wrinkles to fall out somewhat, in between uses, and for variety of future casual outfits, . Also having a variety allows me to plan for the day, given the weather in Tennessee some days, and the fact that some days I may be dabbling in the forge, or going to town for whatever...
    I've welded in a kilt before. Wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it (for the same reason I don't like to weld in shorts). But if you are going to go near anything hot, you might want to get a utility kilt made of something that doesn't melt. Acrylic melts. Ripstop nylon melts. P/V melts. So for me, my choice for grungy/sparky situations was a cotton Highlander utility kilt from DNKE. It's not as nice as a real kilt (doesn't drape well, wrinkles easily), but it serves its purpose well. For pretty much any other circumstance than "workshop" type work, I much prefer my casuals for daily wear.

As Americans we get a little caught up with the need to launder our clothing, and not wanting to appear to be wearing the same thing for days at a time.
    And this right here is the reason I have several and rotate between them. While it may not be necessary in the kiltwearing community's eyes, I do like to change them out so that it doesn't look like I'm just wearing dirty clothes all the time.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    This is, in my mind, a valid point. One thing that I think is sometimes a barrier getting into kilts is the fact that they're a made-to-your-measurements garment for guys who in many cases have no idea how to measure themselves. And if you don't know anyone who knows how to measure for a kilt, you can measure yourself following kiltmakers' directions to a "T" and still mess it up because you're not used to the fit and don't know how it's actually worn. For me, I like to wear my kilts *way* higher than I ever expected, and they're much more comfortable that way. But it means the first kilt I ordered was much too short. So I'm all for low-cost experimentation before diving into having an expensive heirloom-quality tank made that doesn't actually fit.

I've welded in a kilt before. Wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it (for the same reason I don't like to weld in shorts). But if you are going to go near anything hot, you might want to get a utility kilt made of something that doesn't melt. Acrylic melts. Ripstop nylon melts. P/V melts. So for me, my choice for grungy/sparky situations was a cotton Highlander utility kilt from DNKE. It's not as nice as a real kilt (doesn't drape well, wrinkles easily), but it serves its purpose well. For pretty much any other circumstance than "workshop" type work, I much prefer my casuals for daily wear.

And this right here is the reason I have several and rotate between them. While it may not be necessary in the kiltwearing community's eyes, I do like to change them out so that it doesn't look like I'm just wearing dirty clothes all the time.
    To most of that - insert Daniel Bryan meme here - Yes Yes Yes! Lmao

the one caveat is I don't do much welding, mainly heat and beat and I do that in shorts, as I generally wear an apron(need to get a waist apron, all I currently have is a bib) I don't worry much about falling metal as much as I do flying forge scale, and that(speaking as far as my legs go) doesn't worry me burns for a second and goes away. I stay to natural fibers if I can, and I would likely in the summer forgo the apron and stick to a smithy or a workman style kilt, for heat purposes. For now no ac in the shop and just 1 pedestal fan. Needs a remodel and an electrical update so I can look into a power hammer and grinders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast