X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Oregon!

I am happy to say my first kilt has finally arrived! (On Jan 25th no less!)

It is a casual kilt from USA kilts. I decided to go with a casual one so I can check how it feels and check if my measurements are good.
    It was in the evening so I didn’t have my boots on, but I foresee many happy days wearing this.

I already have my eye on a 8 yard wool. Wish me luck! 😄

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, and good luck, from California!

I find my USA Kilts Casual gets a lot of wear. That and my 5-Yard Wool are my most-worn kilts. I keep the 8-yard mostly for special occasions, though I'm trying to wear it more now.

How do you like the kilt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it! I’m only wearing it around the house due to the pandemic, but I can’t wait till school is back in the classroom. This will give me more opportunities to go with a more dressed up look. Any suggestions on wearing in the rain, I am in Oregon and we get lots of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Love it! I’m only wearing it around the house due to the pandemic, but I can’t wait till school is back in the classroom. This will give me more opportunities to go with a more dressed up look. Any suggestions on wearing in the rain, I am in Oregon and we get lots of it?
    I'm not an expert by any means, but my best suggestion would be to treat it like you would pants. Wear a rain jacket, wool socks, and waterproof boots. Gaiters may help, depending on the boots and the rain.

I've been kilting casually since the summer, so I'm really just starting to experiment with rainwear!

The traditional answer would be an Inverness Cape.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    rain, I am in Oregon and we get lots of it?
    Welcome! In Atlanta, we get about 48 inches a year; I'm pretty casual. A couple of years back got flooded on first day Stone Mountain Games cleanup. I had noticed rain boots on a couple of the tent guys, and asked. Steel-toed rain boots from the dreaded Walmart, twenty two bucks. Normally won't get within shouting distance of their front door, but was desperate. They have been great with kilts. Come up about to the bottom of hose turndown. Pair that with a golf umbrella, and I'm dry. They aren't exactly Wellies, but they work as well. Little clunky with a stick shift, but workable.

On the other subject, I wear kilts to the grocery store, hardware, bank, ........ Twice a week to bluegrass jams. Just jump in, the water's fine. With good boots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the English midlands. Good luck with kilt-wearing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Alberta!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Michigan!

I love my USA Kilts casuals. They are my most commonly worn ones by far. And I wear mine as just regular ol' daily clothes.

Regarding rain, you've got casuals made with good quality PFTE-coated (Teflon-coated) P/V fabric. That stuff sheds liquids pretty well. Just get yourself some good boots and go with whatever else you'd normally wear for rain. Casual kilt wearing in the USA doesn't really have to be overthought. Kilts are uncommon enough that usually people just think they're cool no matter how terrible your personal sense of fashion is (ask me how I know ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast