X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About current Ebay offerings, the bidding is going up on this Gillanders set, which started very low. Back in the 1980s a band-mate played silver & ivory Gillanders which were amazing in tone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McL...p2056016.l4276
    It looks as though someone could get a real bargain with these Gillanders & McLeods. If I didn't already have two sets of 1970s G & Ms I would be tempted to bid on them myself. I love the tone of G & Ms.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrichmond View Post
    It looks as though someone could get a real bargain with these Gillanders & McLeods. If I didn't already have two sets of 1970s G & Ms I would be tempted to bid on them myself. I love the tone of G & Ms.
    Yes indeed, I have a current bandmate who plays an old full-Catalin-mounted Gillanders set and there's an Open solo competitor who plays an old silver & ivory Gillanders set.

In both cases the tone is superb and utterly stable. I've heard the Open player compete in piobaireachd a number of times and his pipes hold from start to finish.

The thing about those old pipes is that many predate Iain McLeod joining the firm in 1972. Robert Gillanders was making pipes by 1930 and was later joined by his son (also named Robert).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th February 21 at 05:01 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123