X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About current Ebay offerings, the bidding is going up on this Gillanders set, which started very low. Back in the 1980s a band-mate played silver & ivory Gillanders which were amazing in tone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McL...p2056016.l4276
    It looks as though someone could get a real bargain with these Gillanders & McLeods. If I didn't already have two sets of 1970s G & Ms I would be tempted to bid on them myself. I love the tone of G & Ms.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrichmond View Post
    It looks as though someone could get a real bargain with these Gillanders & McLeods. If I didn't already have two sets of 1970s G & Ms I would be tempted to bid on them myself. I love the tone of G & Ms.
    Yes indeed, I have a current bandmate who plays an old full-Catalin-mounted Gillanders set and there's an Open solo competitor who plays an old silver & ivory Gillanders set.

In both cases the tone is superb and utterly stable. I've heard the Open player compete in piobaireachd a number of times and his pipes hold from start to finish.

The thing about those old pipes is that many predate Iain McLeod joining the firm in 1972. Robert Gillanders was making pipes by 1930 and was later joined by his son (also named Robert).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 26th February 21 at 05:01 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1981 Kintail set I got off Ebay arrived yesterday.

Here are a couple photos taken with my phone in bad indoor light.

I measured the specs, as I do with all pipes that pass through my hands. They're nearly identical specs to a friend's 1988 Kintails which sound great. The tenors on this 1981 set have very slightly larger bores than that 1988 set.

I'm anxious to get some air through them, however my wife is working from home all day today, so I can't make noise until this afternoon.

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd March 21 at 07:37 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Grump is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. A wonderful looking set of pipes. It is difficult for me to refrain from asking a million questions . I'm sure there are others here that are as curious as I but I must admit after being "worked over" by E-bay once or twice I felt nervous for you.
    Cheers, John
    Piping Is Life!....The rest doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I inspected these pipes, and especially when I re-did the hemp job, I realised that these pipes are exactly as they left the Kintail shop in 1981, with the original shop hemp job (funky as usual) the original drone reeds (cane) and the original bag (cowhide).

The silver was tarnished a bit, and the imitation ivory had yellowed a bit, but other than that they were straight from the box. The bag was as new and was perfectly airtight when I tried it.

I talked to the original owner, he said his father-in-law bought them in 1981 intending to learn to play but never did. They've been out of the box maybe ten times, he said.

These drones don't behave like Lawrie drones, so I had to experiment with tuning-slide positions, but with (original type) Kinnaird drone reeds these drones produce a big rich tone. They were a joy to play!

I've tried two other 1980s Kintails and they played just like this, so it's as expected. Grieg Sharp opened Kintail in 1971, so this set was made at the ten-year anniversary.

My thing with pipes is the same as with Highland Dress: if you're judicious and patient you can acquire fine things for a fraction of what they would cost new. These pipes were a thousand dollars, which I reckon was a tremendous bargain.

EDIT: I found that the tone-chamber (socket) on the Bass Midsection had two issues

1) The tone chamber had the "Coke bottle" narrowing of the bore under where the ferrule is. A pipemaker told me that perfectly straight/true tone-chambers leave the shop, then under certain weather conditions the tone-chamber expands slightly however the area confined by the ferrule cannot. Drones like this are a problem because even when hemped as tightly as possible once the hemp gets past the narrow bit under the ferrule suddenly the joint becomes loose.

2) The tone chamber was out of round. Drones like this are a problem because even when tightly hemped they can leak, making the drone unstable.

Happily I have a set of adjustable hand reamers and I've done these trueing jobs many times. I used to send my pipes off to a pipemaker to have the chambers trued, then he told me "you can do it yourself, I don't put it on the lathe, I do it with a hand reamer. They're just a few dollars". And so I have done ever since!

Yesterday I trued that chamber and the pipes are perfect now.

Last edited by OC Richard; 10th March 21 at 05:51 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow MacLellan pipes for just over a thousand dollars. You almost never see them that low.

Yes they're a plain set but I'm sure they will have the big MacLellan sound.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacLellan-b...YAAOSwA8FgRC8h

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a perfect example of the dangers that Ebay bagpipe buyers face.

This auction is getting bid higher and higher by people whom I'm guessing aren't all that knowledgeable about vintage pipes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-M-Bagpipe...gAAOSwc2NgQX~m

Sellers are often ignorant about pipes, so it's up to the buyers to know what they're looking at. The sellers says the pipes are by L&M and of course L&M is a leather-works, making sporrans, belts, and pipe bags. It's very common for sellers to think that a name stamped on a bag is the maker of the pipes themselves.

That aside, let me throw it out to you all: what do you make of these pipes?

Last edited by OC Richard; 10th March 21 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow MacLellan pipes for just over a thousand dollars. You almost never see them that low.

Yes they're a plain set but I'm sure they will have the big MacLellan sound.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacLellan-b...YAAOSwA8FgRC8h

I reached out to the seller, and among other things, learned that they had been bought from a pawn shop, and that they had a “couple hairline fractures in a couple of the bores but they were repaired a few years ago” both of which make me hesitant.

It is always a little harrowing to buy a set of bagpipes you can’t hold/touch/see in person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a perfect example of the dangers that Ebay bagpipe buyers face.

This auction is getting bid higher and higher by people whom I'm guessing aren't all that knowledgeable about vintage pipes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-M-Bagpipe...gAAOSwc2NgQX~m

Sellers are often ignorant about pipes, so it's up to the buyers to know what they're looking at. The sellers says the pipes are by L&M and of course L&M is a leather-works, making sporrans, belts, and pipe bags. It's very common for sellers to think that a name stamped on a bag is the maker of the pipes themselves.

That aside, let me throw it out to you all: what do you make of these pipes?

I reached out with a number of questions, but haven’t heard anything back yet. This is a charity selling something that was donated, so I go into it knowing that they likely won’t know much about the pipes and/or be able to answer many questions, so I try to ask fairly simple ones and give detailed instructions on the pictures and/or information I am looking for.

I personally don’t like the orange, and expect it to be Catalin, but you really can’t tell from the picture.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalesLax View Post
    I reached out with a number of questions, but haven’t heard anything back yet. This is a charity selling something that was donated, so I go into it knowing that they likely won’t know much about the pipes and/or be able to answer many questions, so I try to ask fairly simple ones and give detailed instructions on the pictures and/or information I am looking for.

I personally don’t like the orange, and expect it to be Catalin, but you really can’t tell from the picture.

Rob
    I just got a better picture from the seller - the pipes don't look terrible, but they are 100% from Pakistan. Probably better than the $100 sets on eBay and Amazon, but not something I am willing to take a chance on.

Rob

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast