X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=KennethSime;1390605]FWIW, I've heard that their customer service is pretty good. It might be worth an email at least, let them know that the kilt was not satisfactory and not as-advertised. They may ask you to send it back, or they may just issue a refund.

Well, here's an update that I wanted to be sure to pass along ...

I emailed Kilts4Less via Ebay just this morning (a Sunday) and within two hours I had a reply from Craig! He apologized if the kilt is, in fact, not wool. He explained that they buy their exhire kilts in batches from companies all over the UK and they are assured by these firms that the kilts are wool. He let me know that this kind of complaint has never been raised before and he would certainly follow up with his suppliers. He also told me they are a small family business and would never knowingly falsely advertise their product. Given his obvious concern and prompt attention to my inquiry, I have no reason to doubt him on this point.

He waived the 60-day deadline on returns and offered two options: I can keep the kilt and receive a refund of almost 2/3 of what I paid originally or return the kilt for a complete refund including shipping.

Both of these are very generous offers and I have accepted the first option.

I wanted to pass this along to close the loop on this thread on a positive note. I am incredibly impressed by Kilt4Less's response to my inquiry, especially on a SUNDAY! It speaks very highly of their commitment to customer service and delivering the highest quality product for the money paid. Once I have the kilt repaired (using the refund money from Kilts4Less!), I will be able to wear the kilt without the bad taste in my mouth that I had been prepared to accept after yesterday's disappointing exercise.

Thanks, Kenneth, for suggesting that I reach out to Kilts4Less. I can affirm your positive assessment of their customer service.

Best,
    Kevin

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    I emailed Kilts4Less via Ebay just this morning (a Sunday) and within two hours I had a reply from Craig! He apologized if the kilt is, in fact, not wool. He explained that they buy their exhire kilts in batches from companies all over the UK and they are assured by these firms that the kilts are wool. He let me know that this kind of complaint has never been raised before and he would certainly follow up with his suppliers. He also told me they are a small family business and would never knowingly falsely advertise their product. Given his obvious concern and prompt attention to my inquiry, I have no reason to doubt him on this point.
    I'm glad you got a fair price on the kilt. Even if it's not 100% wool, plenty of folks are in fact happy with their Kilts4Less kilts. I would have zero qualms paying $100 or so for one of them, and I've almost bitten the bullet at $200 a few times.

That said, if you're interested in searching the forums here, I think you'll find quite a few examples of the same exact situation playing out. It's my personal judgement that although they may have once primarily sold ex-hires (there are some older accounts of kilts that seem to have been worn), they now primarily sell brand new Pakistani-made kilts and attempt to pass them off as ex-hire in order to justify their low price point. One key thing you'll find is that some of their tartans, especially their Isle of Skye tartan, is not the real Isle of Skye tartan.

I'm happy to believe it's a family business, but I don't think it's an honest business. I think their exceptional customer service stops a lot of people from digging deeper. What a very strange game to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I'm glad you got a fair price on the kilt. Even if it's not 100% wool, plenty of folks are in fact happy with their Kilts4Less kilts. I would have zero qualms paying $100 or so for one of them, and I've almost bitten the bullet at $200 a few times.

That said, if you're interested in searching the forums here, I think you'll find quite a few examples of the same exact situation playing out. It's my personal judgement that although they may have once primarily sold ex-hires (there are some older accounts of kilts that seem to have been worn), they now primarily sell brand new Pakistani-made kilts and attempt to pass them off as ex-hire in order to justify their low price point. One key thing you'll find is that some of their tartans, especially their Isle of Skye tartan, is not the real Isle of Skye tartan.

I'm happy to believe it's a family business, but I don't think it's an honest business. I think their exceptional customer service stops a lot of people from digging deeper. What a very strange game to play.
    I have indeed read many threads on similar subjects. In fact, as I've been recovering from surgery the last week, I've read far more than my share of threads on this and many other subjects! I've learned quite a bit over the last week ... and found myself both more educated and occasionally more confused at the same time! ;-)

So many options! So many different perspectives!

It was my first dip into the kilting pool and I've already made arrangements for my second (via USA Kilts), so I'll be curious to note the differences between the two kilts.

In any event, I'm satisfied with the outcome of this particular episode (or at least, I WILL be when the refund is processed!). And I look forward to continuing to learn from the experience of you and the others on this site in my continuing journey into the wonderful world of kilting!

Best wishes!
    Kevin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123