X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good progress. Yes, the sporran is fine - upper end of evening wear. Get some "Cowboy Magic" from your local tack shop to keep the hair from tangling.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    From here, I'll need to pickup a more appropriate shirt and a bowtie, and of course the black oxfords (I have a pair in brown, and will pickup the black ones soon). At that point, I think I'll be passable.
    The sporran will definitely work; not everyone is a fan but if it works for you, then you're all set.

If your plan is to wear the RRS kilt for formal occasions, I'd consider getting a pair of diced hose such as these https://www.houseofcheviot.com/highl...blackwatch-p91

Obviously not cheap but a wonderful addition to the rest of your outfit.

It also appears the rise of the kilt is perfect for your PC as it looks like it goes well above the bottom of your waistcoat to prevent any shirt from peeking out.

Shane

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok folks, here's the first picture of the kit in progress. Pardon the link - I tried to post here on the forum, but it I couldn't figure out how to resize appropriately.

Featured are the vintage $50 P.C., my new RRS Kilt (which rises quite high), and a vintage 70s-era Horsehair sporran that I picked up for about $50 also.

Can I get some feedback on the sporran? Does it pass for evening wear?

I rather like the look, though I think I should pickup so mane & tail conditioner. I think it's hanging a bit low, causing a bit of a bunching effect on the kilt - wish I'd caught that before changing.

From here, I'll need to pickup a more appropriate shirt and a bowtie, and of course the black oxfords (I have a pair in brown, and will pickup the black ones soon). At that point, I think I'll be passable.

I'd say the sporran can work, it may not be the most popular choice but it does work. If you go back to my first post in this thread you'll see an example of me in my PC with a horse hair sporran, I think the details to take note of are the Argyll hose and buckle brogues. I think all these pieces work well together while if you only wear one of them it may not look quite right.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I'd say the sporran can work, it may not be the most popular choice but it does work. If you go back to my first post in this thread you'll see an example of me in my PC with a horse hair sporran, I think the details to take note of are the Argyll hose and buckle brogues. I think all these pieces work well together while if you only wear one of them it may not look quite right.
    I agree with this, a long horsehair or goat hair sporran with solid colored hose seems like a “mismatch” to me. The long sporrans need diced or Argyle hose and are asking to be matched
    With a buckle shoe, too, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    I agree with this, a long horsehair or goat hair sporran with solid colored hose seems like a “mismatch” to me. The long sporrans need diced or Argyle hose and are asking to be matched
    With a buckle shoe, too, in my opinion.
    Once I get the rest of the outfit together, I'll post up some pictures - I'm close, but not there yet. It turns out the horsehair sporran doesn't actually have a pocket - apparently this is common knowledge amongst pipers, but was a new concept to me.

I don't think I'll find a pair of buckle brogues that fit my (very wide) feet anytime soon, so I may still replace it with a black leather "dress" sporran. I don't think I need to be "white tie."
    Last edited by KennethSime; 16th March 21 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I get the rest of the outfit together, I'll post up some pictures - I'm close, but not there yet. It turns out the horsehair sporran doesn't actually have a pocket - apparently this is common knowledge amongst pipers, but was a new concept to me.

I don't think I'll find a pair of buckle brogues that fit my (very wide) feet anytime soon, so I may still replace it with a black leather "dress" sporran. I don't think I need to be "white tie."
    There are plenty of posters here that would disagree with me, but I do advocate going for a pair of dress hose for black tie occasions (tartan/diced/Argyle). They are expensive—perhaps 2 to 3 times as much as a quality pair of hose—but they make a tremendous impact in the overall look and I think of my dress hose as some of the best investments I’ve made in my wardrobe.

That’s my opinion, anyway. Others will say they are over the top for black tie. Your personality will shine through no matter what you decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    There are plenty of posters here that would disagree with me, but I do advocate going for a pair of dress hose for black tie occasions (tartan/diced/Argyle). They are expensive—perhaps 2 to 3 times as much as a quality pair of hose—but they make a tremendous impact in the overall look and I think of my dress hose as some of the best investments I’ve made in my wardrobe.

That’s my opinion, anyway. Others will say they are over the top for black tie. Your personality will shine through no matter what you decide.
    I do like argyle hose quite a bit, but I think they'll be a "round two" investment, if you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    If your plan is to wear the RRS kilt for formal occasions, I'd consider getting a pair of diced hose such as these
    I'm curious what diced hose one would wear with a "reproduction" or "weathered" tartan. All of the diced hose I've seen are in colors that work well with Ancient or Modern tartans.

Any suggestions ...?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    I'm curious what diced hose one would wear with a "reproduction" or "weathered" tartan. All of the diced hose I've seen are in colors that work well with Ancient or Modern tartans.

Any suggestions ...?
    That would depend on the tartan, but red/white or red/black could work. One could always commission some diced hose but then you are at approximately twice the price point of a retail pair of diced hose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post

Any suggestions ...?
    Just to throw in a cent or two; "weathered" is supposed to represent an old sun faded tartan, why wear this as black tie?

Frank
    Last edited by Highland Logan; 16th March 21 at 06:22 PM.
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast