X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience it doesn't seem like anyone is paying that much attention to whether you use a strap or chain to support your sporran. I also sometimes use "sporran hangers" suspending the bag from my belt when I am wearing the kilt more casually.

I agree that it's best to invest in a nice looking chain if you are going to wear one.

My formal sporran is white bunny fur. I usually wear a black leather strap with it. No one has ever complained or criticized its fur content. Of course, here in China, people are very comfortable with fur, and I have even encountered vendors selling pelts of exotic species. So the anti-fur movement has not made much headway where I am living. You may encounter very different conditions in North America.

I would love to have a nice horsehair sporran (I am not afraid of being "showy," or I wouldn't be in a kilt to begin with). Someday...

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    In my experience it doesn't seem like anyone is paying that much attention to whether you use a strap or chain to support your sporran. I also sometimes use "sporran hangers" suspending the bag from my belt when I am wearing the kilt more casually.

I agree that it's best to invest in a nice looking chain if you are going to wear one.

My formal sporran is white bunny fur. I usually wear a black leather strap with it. No one has ever complained or criticized its fur content. Of course, here in China, people are very comfortable with fur, and I have even encountered vendors selling pelts of exotic species. So the anti-fur movement has not made much headway where I am living. You may encounter very different conditions in North America.

I would love to have a nice horsehair sporran (I am not afraid of being "showy," or I wouldn't be in a kilt to begin with). Someday...

Andrew
    Actually, I'd like to apologize to anyone I offended with the red paint joke. I respect the opinion of those who oppose the wearing of fur on ethical grounds, even if I disagree with it.

(As for the showiness issue ... someday I'll get over it, no doubt.)
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly respect and understand the views of those who oppose fur. I hope no one took offense at your joke.

I did have an interesting conversation yesterday with a couple of biology teachers at my school, who said a few students declared that their Buddhist faith caused them to object to a recent frog dissection lab activity. The teachers excused these students from wielding the knife, but they were required to observe the operation and complete their lab reports accordingly.

So I imagine there are some number of serious Buddhists here who avoid fur. And one can find excellent vegetarian restaurants attached to large Buddhist temples. But overall, animal rights and vegetarianism seem to have found very limited support in China outside of Buddhist monasteries. And most "vegetable" dishes in restaurants here include a little pork "for flavor," to the frustration of my colleagues from India.

Andrew

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like wearing a fur sporran then thats fine by me, although I think that there is a time and place for them.

For me, as a keen shooting man I decided some forty years ago that I was not comfortable with wearing fur and for absolutely no reason than I can sensibly explain. Since then I have happily worn a black leather sporran made by McRostie of Glasgow for everyday and formal events without a qualm, or public comment. A few, a very few of my friends have asked me about my thinking on the matter over the years and out of respect I suppose, have never voiced objections.

DSCN0041.jpg Standard wedding attire for most non formal Highland weddings.

327.jpgSame sporran for a formal day wedding.

WGN_2676.jpgSame sporran for country pursuits.

You may wonder about pictures of me at formal evening attire events? I never take pictures at these events and really dislike others doing so too. For me, its just better that way. Nevertheless the same sporran is/was worn to these events as well.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th April 21 at 03:54 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone View Post
    [I've tried to do my due diligence on the question I'm asking, done a fair amount of searching; but the amount of material on this site is bewildering! Hoping that I've not re-asked a question for the millionth time ...]

What's the definition of a true formal sporran? The consensus seems to be, at a minimum: there should be a cantle of a silver-colored metal; and visible leather should be black. Is there more?

Like the original poster, KennethSime, I'm hoping for a sporran that's suitable for evening formal wear, but doesn't have fur. The horsehair and similar ones are a little showy for me at this stage in my kilt development. The first two above seem fine to me - they're all leather, silver-cantled, and both have tassels. Is there agreement that these are full-up, real, formal sporrans? Is the tassel a requirement? I ask because I have ...

Attachment 39975

I've seen this style described as semi-formal (e.g., on J. Higgins site); fully formal (Kinloch Anderson's, where they say "This is the perfect sporran ... for a Formal Black Tie Event.". Hard to argue with KA, but ...); or some variation on the term "pipe-band" (which I suppose means you can wear it any time, as long as you're willing to carry a set of pipes).

Also like the original poster, I'm willing to flout convention slightly if I must, but I really would like to have one full-up THCD formal kit available.
    I own one of these for more subdued formal occasions. I think it works just fine with an Argyle jacket and black tie. I might hesitate to wear it with white tie myself, but I think it is sufficiently dressy to pass for those occasions too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456