X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

   X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41
  1. #31
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    8,966
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    Maybe you just need a bigger sporran.
    My go-to sporran is about as roomy as they come.

    Here is what it might contain at a typical Highland Games (it's a 16cm tall can)



    All in now!



    Even so, I do like plenty of pockets. Here's a vintage waistcoat in an older style with four pockets



    Here's a modern Harris Tweed waistcoat with a different approach to the pockets

    Last edited by OC Richard; 15th February 21 at 07:36 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:


  3. #32
    Join Date
    20th June 11
    Location
    California
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My go-to sporran is about as roomy as they come.
    Richard, that is quite impressive! I'm bidding on a horsehair sporran that looks pretty similar on eBay right now - fingers crossed.

    Is that goat hair though, rather than horse? The hair looks... wilder.

    Also, good call on the waistcoat pockets. Shame the 4 pockets don't seem to be standard anymore.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    26th December 20
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My go-to sporran is about as roomy as they come.

    Here is what it might contain at a typical Highland Games (it's a 16cm tall can)
    Impressive indeed. And you can make it through an entire day on only one can? ;-)

    The four-pocket look on the vintage waistcoat is very nice. I would likely leave all of them empty so I don't add any unnecessary "bulk" around my mid-section! But, I love the look of them, particularly the scalloped treatment on the bottom pocket flaps.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    8,966
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    you can make it through an entire day on only one can?
    Oh dear no!

    Here in California drinking is an integral part of the Highland Games experience for many people. It is for me when I'm being a tourist, not competing.

    I was dismayed when I began attending Highland Games in the Eastern US and discovered that some of them are "dry" (no alcohol sold or allowed on the premises). Other Highland Games had beer but only one kind, and it not good.

    That's when that sporran comes in handy. It can hold two cans if I put the other stuff in my pockets (hence the waistcoat with four roomy pockets) and I make trips out to my car when needed.

    I've yet to have Security at a Highland Games search men's sporrans.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  6. #35
    Join Date
    18th October 09
    Location
    Orange County California
    Posts
    8,966
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Is that goat hair though, rather than horse?
    Good eye, yes it' goat hair.

    BTW people may not realise that the older horsehair sporrans had the horsehair laid over top of a goathair body.

    The new ones usually skip that part, and the body under the horsehair is just plain leather.

    Here, on this old horsehair sporran the horsehair is parted so you can see the goathair body underneath.



    Sometimes rather than goathair the body of the sporran is faced with horse-hide with longish hair still on it.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th February 21 at 05:33 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

  7. #36
    Join Date
    10th October 08
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38 13' 11"N x 85 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I was dismayed when I began attending Highland Games in the Eastern US and discovered that some of them are "dry" (no alcohol sold or allowed on the premises). Other Highland Games had beer but only one kind, and it not good.
    The dry events were likely held either in state parks (no public alcohol consumption permitted), on college campuses (most are supposed to be alcohol-free), or in 'dry' counties (as Richard said, no alcohol sales permitted). That's been my experience in Kentucky (KY Scottish Weekend - now defunct - at General Butler State Park and the Glasgow Highland Games at Barren River State Park), Indiana (Columbus Highland Games at the 4H Fairgrounds) and Georgia (Stone Mountain Highland Games at Stone Mountain State Park). On the other hand, the Central Kentucky Highland Games are held on private property in Eminence, KY on the grounds of a Renaissance Fair and they have a beer hall.

    That said, from personal experience, discreet consumption is tolerated, as long as it doesn't get out of hand and empties aren't in plain sight. Flasks of various sizes and mason jars are frequently the containers of choice. If it looks like a beverage could be iced tea, lemonade or water, then you get a pass. If complaints are made - you're obviously intoxicated or aren't 'discreet enough' with your containers (cans or bottles in plain view) - you could be asked to leave, provided you have someone sober enough to drive. Otherwise, your alcohol could be confiscated on the spot and you would be asked to leave once you sober up. Overt consumption is obviously not allowed. Typically law enforcement will have you dump out the remainder of your open container on the spot and any unopened containers will be confiscated - sometimes you can take them back out to your vehicle or pick them up at the gate or security tent when you leave, depending on the officer/venue.



    On the topic of the OP, that's a fine-looking tweed that I'm sure would look good with most anything you'd care to pair it with. I'm personally more partial to gray, blue and green for myself because I feel I don't look good in brown/tan. I wish I had the funds to be able to get something bespoke. Good luck in your adventure!
    John

  8. #37
    Join Date
    26th December 20
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Oh dear no!

    Here in California drinking is an integral part of the Highland Games experience for many people. It is for me when I'm being a tourist, not competing.

    I was dismayed when I began attending Highland Games in the Eastern US and discovered that some of them are "dry" (no alcohol sold or allowed on the premises). Other Highland Games had beer but only one kind, and it not good.

    That's when that sporran comes in handy. It can hold two cans if I put the other stuff in my pockets (hence the waistcoat with four roomy pockets) and I make trips out to my car when needed.

    I've yet to have Security at a Highland Games search men's sporrans.
    A dry Highland Games? Wow ...
    Personally, I'm not a beer drinker and never have been. But, I wouldn't be averse to a flask of something in my sporran!

  9. #38
    Join Date
    26th December 20
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    On the topic of the OP, that's a fine-looking tweed that I'm sure would look good with most anything you'd care to pair it with. I'm personally more partial to gray, blue and green for myself because I feel I don't look good in brown/tan. I wish I had the funds to be able to get something bespoke. Good luck in your adventure!
    Thanks John. I've confirmed that Kilts4Less can make the jacket and waistcoat in this tweed. I've ordered a sample of the tweed from the UK to make sure the weight and colors are right. Then, if all goes well, I'll process the order. Will keep you all posted via this thread!

  10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:


  11. #39
    Join Date
    16th September 10
    Posts
    1,289
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    That's been my experience in Kentucky (KY Scottish Weekend - now defunct - at General Butler State Park and the Glasgow Highland Games at Barren River State Park), Indiana (Columbus Highland Games at the 4H Fairgrounds) and Georgia (Stone Mountain Highland Games at Stone Mountain State Park).
    I am pretty sure Stone Mountain has a bar tent for sponsors. I know flasks are a standard item at many to most clan tents. As for beer sales to us commoners, I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered them. Not sure, my family lost too many to alcohol for me to go there, and I don't look for it. @Wareyin would perhaps have insight appropriate. While I'm sure he would never stop there himself, , he may be more observant than I.

    Back on track. I like the OP's choice. Goes with much to most, will look quite nice in a bespoke garment. Although, I think going to Andrew's tailor could be a fun trip. Round up several of the rabble,
    get group rates on fares, overwhelm the poor tailor, all get great outfits, have lots of stories about the revelry and the legal efforts to retrieve us..... Maybe not. Ordering online probably wiser.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 19th February 21 at 09:26 AM.

  12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:


  13. #40
    Join Date
    17th June 15
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    I am pretty sure Stone Mountain has a bar tent for sponsors. I know flasks are a standard item at many to most clan tents. As for beer sales to us commoners, I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered them. Not sure, my family lost too many to alcohol for me to go there, and I don't look for it. @Wareyin would perhaps have insight appropriate. While I'm sure he would never stop there himself, , he may be more observant than I.

    Back on track. I like the OP's choice. Goes with much to most, will look quite nice in a bespoke garment. Although, I think going to Andrew's tailor could be a fun trip. Round up several of the rabble,
    get group rates on fares, overwhelm the poor tailor, all get great outfits, have lots of stories about the revelry and the legal efforts to retrieve us..... Maybe not. Ordering online probably wiser.
    Stone Mountain in Ga has one or 2 food tents that sell beer, and I know that a couple (at least) of the clan tents have whisky they share. I've never had a problem even bringing in a cooler for a couple of cans, either. We bring food for our clan tent, and nobody stops you to search your coolers.

    I have heard that the Blairsville Games are dry, but I haven't made it up to know for sure.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0