X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commissioning a bespoke argyll and waistcoat?

I've been thinking about possibly having a tweed jacket and waistcoat made to match two kilts I'm planning to acquire (one is already on order via USA Kilts, I'm exploring options for the other). While both tartans will work well with the Lovat Blue jacket and waistcoat I'm also awaiting from USA Kilts, I've been thinking it might be nice to have another option. I've found a Harris Tweed that I think would go beautifully with both tartans. See below:

Tweed.jpg

Before I let myself get carried away with this impulse, I'm curious about the experience of others in the rabble in having a truly custom jacket and waistcoat made. I'm guessing the cost could be astronomical!

Thoughts? Advice?

P.S. My apologies for misspelling "waistcoat" in the title of the post ... but I can't figure out how to correct it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post

P.S. My apologies for misspelling "waistcoat" in the title of the post ... but I can't figure out how to correct it!
    Done!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Done!
    Apparently, "ask and ye shall receive."

Or something like that ... Thank you, Father Bill!

Is that something I could have done myself ...?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's a wonderful-looking tweed that looks great with both those tartans, and would probably look great with just about any tartan.

The combination of brown tweeds with red-based tartans has always looked particularly good to me.

Well done!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 9th February 21 at 05:34 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wonderful colour combinations you have there...

I think your choices shown would make an exquisite outfit ...or two. Great choices!
    Cost aside, there is nothing like a bespoke piece to make one feel pride in what they wear.

Even if it is the only one you ever buy it will still make you feel wonderful wearing it.

So go ahead, you deserve it don't you?

PS: The only thing I would add is, work closely with your tailor so you get exactly what you want.
    Both fit and style can make or break a piece.

Best of luck on this adventure.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm usually not too picky about fit, but one thing I want is the waistcoat to have four functional and fairly roomy pockets.

Odd, to me, how four pockets were so common in the past, and how rarely modern Highland waistcoats are made that way.

I've often thought how nice it would be to have a Victorian-style tweed jacket with all those big pockets. (For some reason when I'm out at a Highland Games I always end up with numerous things to carry on my person.)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    Is that something I could have done myself ...?
    No actually; it's available to us as moderators.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    No actually; it's available to us as moderators.
    Got it. Thanks for fixing it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I think that's a wonderful-looking tweed that looks great with both those tartans, and would probably look great with just about any tartan.

The combination of brown tweeds with red-based tartans has always looked particularly good to me.

Well done!
    Thanks very much. I just stumbled upon it and it seemed fated to pair with these two tartans! Brown is ordinarily not my go-to color ... I tend more toward blues, greens and greys ... but it sure is beautiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    I think your choices shown would make an exquisite outfit ...or two. Great choices!
    Cost aside, there is nothing like a bespoke piece to make one feel pride in what they wear.

Even if it is the only one you ever buy it will still make you feel wonderful wearing it.

So go ahead, you deserve it don't you?

PS: The only thing I would add is, work closely with your tailor so you get exactly what you want.
    Both fit and style can make or break a piece.

Best of luck on this adventure.
    Thanks very much. Yes, I agree about the importance of working closely with my tailor. The challenge I'll face is this: if I use someone who's accustomed to kilts and kilt jackets, that person is unlikely to be accessible to me for in-person appointments. I've been researching such tailors in the Chicago area and coming up empty handed.

As for being deserving ... LOL ... you'd have to ask my wife and daughter about that!

Will keep you posted!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast