X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mad Hatter sporran

I saw this vintage child-size sporran on Ebay for over $700 and I thought what on earth?!

Vintage child's sporrans generally sell for little money, unless the buyer thinks they're getting an adult sporran. (Yes it's very common for vintage child's sporrans to be sold as adult sporrans, even "Boar War Officer's" sporrans (sic).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Mad-Hat...ndition=4%7C10

But when I compared the sporran they're selling to the still from the film Alice In Wonderland it begins to make sense, because the vintage child's sporran appears an exact match to the prop used in the film.

It's not like that's a rare style, I've seen dozens of them not sell on Ebay over the years, or sell for a few dollars, or sell for a hundred dollars to a buyer who thinks they're getting an adult sporran they can wear, or a bit of "Boar War" militaria.

But in the "cosplay" world and film prop world there are people willing to pay large sums for "screen accurate" props.

BTW I think the tartan is Hunting Fraser.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th February 21 at 05:59 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    BTW I think the tartan is Hunting Fraser.
    Fraser Hunting Ancient, I believe.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it's not a unique cantle, they would have to knock a zero off the end for me to bid.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I agree it's not a unique cantle, they would have to knock a zero off the end for me to bid.
    Or two zeros for me, or not even then, because I don't have use for a child-size sporran now (my son about to turn 30!)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Or Weathered colours perhaps? Hard to tell from the photo, but Hollywood does love Weathered colours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Or Weathered colours perhaps? Hard to tell from the photo, but Hollywood does love Weathered colours.
    It is quite dark, and hard to see, but I do believe it's Ancient.

144957354_10164606926210510_2644138197129997774_n.jpg

Here's a photo of me in my Fraser Hunting Weathered 5-yard, it's Lochcarron's 16oz/Strome tartan. Notice the green is almost impossible to see, and the blue is almost as bad. Because of this, the 4x4 pattern of the blue and green stripes almost fades away - the sett is hard to identify at first, because the white stripe is so much more prominent.

Assuming they're using real tartan and not some knock-off, my best guess is Fraser Hunting Ancient, in poor lighting. You'll notice the 4x4 pattern is still there, and the sett is identifiable, though the colors are a bit hard to distinguish due to the lighting.

Anyway, that's my guess. :-)

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like it!

Good call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone interested in getting a better look, I found two sites that had a number of good pictures of the outfit in general and kilt specifically:

While already down this rabbit hole (pun intended), I also found a video of Johnny as the Madd Hatter performing a traditional Scottish Fütterwacken dance in the kilt. Tongue planted firmly in cheek while typing that.

Rob

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    What? ... the tartan or the guy?
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalesLax View Post
    For anyone interested in getting a better look, I found two sites that had a number of good pictures of the outfit in general and kilt specifically...
    Thanks for those! I know somewhere somebody has/is planning to put together that costume, and it's gold to find such great photos.

I've put together a few costumes over the last few years and I've never had photos that good to work from for any of them.

It's happened that I've built something sort of guessing about the specifics, then come upon a great closeup shot which reveals that I've done something wrongly. Well, you have to go with the best information you have at the time.