X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot is just whim/mood. I love the convenience of the casuals - easy on and off when that is something to consider. Also love the pleats in the semi-trad...not like my 8 yard hand sewn kilts but still very nice and much less expensive than hand sewn

I had my 5 yard wool kilts made for rafting the Grand Canyon...to take up a bit less space and weigh less than a hand sewn wool.

My wool kilts are usually in tartans that are meaningful to me. The poly viscose are usually in less meaningful tartans but purchased because of what they mean to me - or love of the look of the tartan.

Executive summary: I have no clue...I'm just a kilt addict with a craving.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casaluz View Post
    Besides the obvious different prices, how do they compare (i.e. 5 yard wool vs semi trad vs casual)? do you have them for specific events or do you rotate depending on "feeling"?
    USAK's 5 yard wool kilt is essentially the wool equivalent of the semi-trad. I have semi-trads, and I'm going to order a 5-yard Real Soon Now.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fluter View Post
    USAK's 5 yard wool kilt is essentially the wool equivalent of the semi-trad. I have semi-trads, and I'm going to order a 5-yard Real Soon Now.
    I don't have a Semi-Trad, but I do have a Casual. To expand a bit on what Fluter said, I'll add the following:

I enjoy my Casual kilt for hot summer days, anytime I want a lightweight kilt. I also enjoy it for T-shirt wear, specifically to a concert or bar, casual outings. The big deal about the PV fabric is that it's machine-washable (and even teflon-coated), so if you spill beer on it no big deal. Also, with the casual only being $100-150, even if you burn a hole in it it's not the end of the world.

I enjoy my 5-yard wool kilt for just about everything else. It's a great "daily driver" that's light enough to not be a big deal, and heavy enough to keep you warm. I also enjoy the price-point - at $300-350, it's not quite so dear as an $800 8-Yard, but you still get nice, high-quality Scottish wool and really good workmanship.

I have a few 8-yards, and I usually save those for fancier events. There's a lot of fabric in an 8-yard kilt, and it's "kind of a big deal." They also tend to be a bit more expensive (although my last two were only $450 and $350, respectively), so they're a bit dearer - wouldn't want to spill cheap beer on one, or risk tearing the apron one something stupid like a nail.

I hope that helps Casaluz!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Thank you OCR. It just goes to show that I will be never be too old to stop learning.
    Jock, here you go - my paper on the Earl of Inverness tartan.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I know. Thank you Peter.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12