X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mocker Musings & Cold Weather

It is still chilly willy here on the high plateau of northeast Arizona (elev. 5600ft) but I found out that my kilt wearing need not be confined to warmer months. Today it was in the 30s and 40s and I put on a blue denim utility kilt from UT Kilts with long sleeve flannel shirt, light jacket, long, thick socks and tennis shoes and I was every bit as warm as if I had worn denim p- pa- pants. This expands my kilt wearing quite a bit. Now this only works in cold weather IF there is no wind. I also found out if people you know see you NOT wearing a kilt, they ask why not. I wore my kilt to the men's Bible study last Thursday evening, but it was really windy yesterday (Saturday) so I did NOT wear a kilt to the monthly men's fellowship breakfast, and one of the guys there asked me where where my kilt was; I told him not on windy days. Then today at I wore regular pants to church, I think the same guy came up to me, looked me up and down and said, "it isn't windy today!". I guess once you wear it, people expect it.

Has anyone purchased one of Utilikilts Mocker kilts? I was looking at these online, but they are pricey and wondered if they are worth the 200 dollar price tag. What is the material like; are they stiff like denim or softer than that?

Has anyone had any experience with wearing a kilt in the Philippines? My inlaws (my family) live there (my wife is Filipina) and wondering what sort of reaction you get there. Most guys there wear short pants, t-shirt and sandals; pretty warm and humid all year round. Those way further south wear sarongs, but WAY further south.

I work for a small company (Novo Power) and at one of our Christmas parties my wife and I were sitting across from Brad, the CEO. I made a comment to Brad that I was thinking about wearing one of my kilts to work. He replied "as long as you are only thinking about it, that is fine". Everyone laughed, including me.

Guess that is all for this entry....

Norm
    "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord....." Psalm 33:12

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Norm For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat rises....kilts of most sorts keep you toasty warm even outdoors in winter. I've worn kilts in winter all over Northern Arizona with no problem save chilly knees sometimes.

Best way to get used to kilting in the wind is just go out and do it. Doesn't take long to learn there's little to worry about....but pay attention to walking up to a vehicle, entering or leaving a building, or leaving the protection of a wall or building.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Has anyone purchased one of Utilikilts Mocker kilts? I was looking at these online, but they are pricey and wondered if they are worth the 200 dollar price tag. What is the material like; are they stiff like denim or softer than that?
    Hi Norm,

I have. Is it worth it? You, living in the USA, shall pay 200 dollars for it plus a minor freight cost. For me, living in Denmark, it is quite another business. Freight is at least 50 dollars, making it 260 dollars. OK, quite a lot, but it doesn't stop here. Customs duty 12% applies = another 31 dollars. And then there is 25% VAT of 291 dollars = 73 dollars plus a customs clearance fee about 33 dollars, meaning my Mocker ends up costing 397 dollars or twice the price of the kilt.

I think, it is more than it is worth. But at 200 box you'll get a fantastic kilt. And without these rather ugly cargo pockets to find on other and more expensive Utilikilts and most Pakistani utility kilts. And if it is about having a beautifully looking and well-made kilt, I should prefer the Mocker over four Pakistanis.

It is about as stiff as denim, but it feels different. When washed it gets softer.

Utiliklt Mocker, olive, the old model w/o “switch back”

Greg
    Greg

Kilted for comfort, difference, look, variety and versatility

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to GG For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a DNKE Highlander. But I don't wear it in the winter. It's not as warm as my other kilts. The material is just too light.

I do, however, wear my P/V casual and semi-trad kilts in the winter, and they are quite nice. But that mostly comes down to having good warm hose.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post: