X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas Highland Games 2021

I know that the North Texas Irish Festival is going "virtual" this year, and that the Sherman Celtic Festival is being rescheduled from March to September 25 & 26.

The San Antonio Highland Games website is showing 2021 dates (April 10 & 11), but much of the site hasn't been updated. Does anyone know if the event is on? I've emailed but haven't had a response...

The Texas Scottish Festival (in Decatur) is on (April 30–May 2).

If you know of any other Texas events that are happening, please let me know.

Thanks,

SM

P.S. I'm betting that the games that typically occur in the Fall will be back this year: Houston, Kerr County and Salado
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 22nd February 21 at 12:22 PM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    The San Antonio Highland Games website is showing 2021 dates (April 10 & 11), but much of the site hasn't been updated. Does anyone know if the event is on? I've emailed but haven't had a response...
    Please do let us know if you hear something. As you may recall, Clan Colquhoun was supposed to have their annual gathering in San Antonio this year to coincide with the Games. But they have cancelled it due to the pandemic. I have not been able to find any information as to whether the Games and festival will still happen, though. My guess is that they are still planning to put it on in the hopes that by April we can have public gatherings again, but are prepared to cancel it if local health authorities are still imposing restrictions at that time.

While things seem to be improving drastically of late, I would be very surprised indeed if they allow a festival like this to happen in 6 weeks. I think by early April we'll be lucky just to have restaurants and other small establishments back to normal operating status. Allowing crowds to mingle freely at a festival (even being out-of-doors) would be a pretty tall order, given the sentiments of local leadership in San Antonio. But you never know! A lot can change in 6 weeks. Especially seeing how different our state looks this week from last week, LOL!

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salado Gathering

The Salado Gathering and games are well into planning and we hope to have them this fall at the usual, November dates. We will be in a new venue as planned and will have a lot more room. Jack

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to GrymJack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this on the SAHG website today:

Guess that question is answered!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not 2021, but my clan are planning to hold their tri-ennial gathering at Salado Games, November 11th to 13th, 2022.
    Whether I'll be able to attend is still subject to a number of factors.
    Will USA allow visitors from Europe by then or will covid travel restrictions still be in place.
    Whether I would be able to obtain affordable health insurance cover to visit USA again. It has been over ten years since I last attended a USA Games, Loon Mountain NH in 2010, so of course I have aged a bit and had health issues since then.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    Not 2021, but my clan are planning to hold their tri-ennial gathering at Salado Games, November 11th to 13th, 2022.
    Whether I'll be able to attend is still subject to a number of factors.
    Will USA allow visitors from Europe by then or will covid travel restrictions still be in place.
    Whether I would be able to obtain affordable health insurance cover to visit USA again. It has been over ten years since I last attended a USA Games, Loon Mountain NH in 2010, so of course I have aged a bit and had health issues since then.
    I hope things work out so that you’re able to attend, as there are always a number of XMarkers in attendance and we’d welcome the opportunity to meet you in person!

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did one April 17th, it was a new one but we only had 2 weeks notice and it was 1 day.

I am headed the Decatur here in a bit to set up.

here is what I have in my database for the rest of the year for Texas

City State Mo Start Close YR

Tyler TX 10 23 23 21
    kerr County TX 10 09 09 21
    Salado TX 11 12 14 21
    Sherman TX 09 25 26 21
    Tyler TX 05 21 31 21
    Steve
    Clan Lamont USA
    SR VP & Central US VP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Houston doesn't have any plans for 2021, but has already booked a place to hold their Highland games in April of '22.