X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I've seen the use of the term 'tank' before, when people are talking about the kilt - what does it mean..?
    "Tank" is a back-formation I suppose.

When I started wearing kilts (the mid-1970s) there were only kilts. The term only meant one thing: a handsewn made-to-measure wool kilt as they had been made, more or less, since Victorian times.

About the yardage, the first Highland Dress catalogue I got (late 1970s) listed only 7 yard kilts.

A Paisley's catalogue from 1936 lists their kilts as having 7 yards.

A Lawrie catalogue from the 1940s offers kilts in 6, 7, or 8 yards.

Which makes me wonder why some people nowadays consider the 8 yard kilt as standard or correct.

In any case, those were kilts. There were no other sorts.

People new to kiltwearing might not appreciate just how recently the hyphen-kilts emerged, the casual-kilts and utility-kilts and sport-kilts and the rest.

A person coming to kiltwearing recently would see this variety and perhaps expect that kilts (in the usual and traditional sense) would themselves need to have a qualifier. Thus we have recent back-formations like "traditional kilts" and "dress kilts" (which I think is inappropriate because kilts have always been worn in the field as well as in the ballroom) and strangest of all "tank" (which implies that kilts are overly heavy and ungainly).
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktk1961 View Post
    the tartan and the tweed:

Attachment 39840
    Those are lovely!

I too have been giving my Highland Dress a makeover, and going through the process of getting a new kilt, new sporran, new bonnet, and now a new jacket.

Here's my progress on the jacket http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-argyll-97345/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 24th August 21 at 03:01 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it is worth mentioning that the term "tank" was coined at a time when this website was very different to what it is today.

When I started on this website some long time ago it was an established kilt website. But, BUT, the website was very different, almost anything went------anything from a table cloth to the finest wool tartan made into a kit was a genuine topic of conversation. Some of the cloth that was made into a kilt in a far from traditional way was common currency here and to a certain extent, I think the website was in its way rather more fun. So the "tank" kilt description fitted in well with those times. However, there were tensions between the traditionalists and the more liberal minded kilt attire wearers. I suppose over the years a more traditional leaning on this website has grown to what it is today.

I have to say that there was a clear yearning for the growing majority of new members to learn about the more traditional side of kilts and kilt wearing, but in all honesty that was to the detriment of the ultra modern thinking of kilt wearing members and their contributions here. So the end result was and is, the word "tank" has lost its clear cut definition.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th August 21 at 11:43 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kilt in progress 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	40527

Paul Henry has sent me another picture of my new kilt in progress ... in Colquhoun Reproduction. The straps will be dark brown and the buckles in brass. He said it should be finished by the end of the week. I can hardly wait! And I'm anxious to see the lining fabric he has selected!

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think that it is worth mentioning that the term "tank" was coined at a time when this website was very different to what it is today.

When I started on this website some long time ago it was an established kilt website. But, BUT, the website was very different, almost anything went------anything from a table cloth to the finest wool tartan made into a kit was a genuine topic of conversation. Some of the cloth that was made into a kilt in a far from traditional way was common currency here and to a certain extent, I think the website was in its way rather more fun. So the "tank" kilt description fitted in well with those times. However, there were tensions between the traditionalists and the more liberal minded kilt attire wearers. I suppose over the years a more traditional leaning on this website has grown to what it is today.

I have to say that there was a clear yearning for the growing majority of new members to learn about the more traditional side of kilts and kilt wearing, but in all honesty that was to the detriment of the ultra modern thinking of kilt wearing members and their contributions here. So the end result was and is, the word "tank" has lost its clear cut definition.
    I must confess to this same “retrogression” on my own part over the years: my first kilts worn in adulthood were cotton canvas Utilikilt and derivative products. Nowadays, I don’t even wear my polyviscose kilt: I am in wool tartans or tweeds for occasions varying from hillwalking to black tie. Is XMarks to blame…? Quite possibly, but I wouldn’t go back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Ahhh so that's what happened. I've been wondering... It was such an active, fun forum then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kilt in progress 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	40527

Paul Henry has sent me another picture of my new kilt in progress ... in Colquhoun Reproduction. The straps will be dark brown and the buckles in brass. He said it should be finished by the end of the week. I can hardly wait! And I'm anxious to see the lining fabric he has selected!
    I'm excited to see how this all turns out. Congrats.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing about "tank" implying heavier weight:

Traditionally made kilts have the pleats cut out, modern "casual kilts" usually do not.

So my 13oz 7-yard traditionally made kilt is lighter in overall weight than many modern "casual kilts" I've handled.

In particular traditionally made kilts are slimmer across your backside and are less back-heavy than the "casual kilts" that were made without cutting out the pleats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could say that I've received my kilt and it is everything I had ever dreamt of ...

Unfortunately, I am still waiting to receive it. The last update sent to me at the end of August was that the kilt was finished and required only snipping of a few loose threads and pressing. It is now over two months later and I have no kilt and have had no update. Not even a response to a few email inquiries.

I had hopes of wearing this new kilt to the St. Andrew's Dinner on December 3 here in Chicago. Alas, that looks unlikely now ...

Hopefully my next update will report on having received the kilt and being thrilled with it ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could say that I've received my kilt and it is everything I had ever dreamt of ...

Unfortunately, I am still waiting to receive it. The last update sent to me at the end of August was that the kilt was finished and required only snipping of a few loose threads and pressing. It is now over two months later and I have no kilt and have had no update. Not even a response to a few email inquiries.

I had hopes of wearing this new kilt to the St. Andrew's Dinner on December 3 here in Chicago. Alas, that looks unlikely now ...

Hopefully my next update will report on having received the kilt and being thrilled with it ...
    Wow, that's a shame. He's pretty active on Facebook - I see him often in the K&C or Traditional Kilters groups. You might message him there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Wow, that's a shame. He's pretty active on Facebook - I see him often in the K&C or Traditional Kilters groups. You might message him there?
    I'm afraid I have. I've sent three emails over the last two months and two or three Facebook messages ... and haven't received a response to any of them. I don't appreciate being put in the position of having to beg for an update after having been assured that it would be shipped within days ... I confess to being frustrated ...

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast