X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Scottish Highland Games Announcing Opening

The Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in North Carolina are planning to be held July 8 - 11. https://gmhg.org/

MacCallum Malcolm Clan Society is planning to hold its Annual General Meeting and celebrating its 50th Anniversary of its founding there. I'm going camping on the mountain!
    Last edited by Mael Coluim; 5th March 21 at 03:18 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    The Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in North Carolina are planning to be held July 8 - 12. https://gmhg.org/

MacCallum Malcolm Clan Society is planning to hold its Annual General Meeting and celebrating its 50th Anniversary of its founding there. I'm going camping on the mountain!
    @carolinanan117 and I will be hosting the Clan Sinclair tent. We'll see you on the Mountain!
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2021 Festival of the Tartans in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia is planned for the week of June 26, 2021.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tom Fiddles For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Grandfather Mountain will indeed happen I might make plans to fly back there and attend.

When my mother lived near Johnson City I would visit her and the Games annually.

She moved back to West Virginia almost 30 years ago, and I've not been to those Games since.

I think nearly all the 2021 Games here in California have been cancelled already, so Grandfather Mountain would probably be my only Games this year.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 1st March 21 at 08:58 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northeast Florida Games, Jacksonville, took place last weekend.

FINALLY, after over a year, we headed off to the NEFG outside Jacksonville, Saturday 27 Feb. IT WAS AMAZING, even though it was a one day event. The games were very successful, many people and about 30 clans showed up with six piper bands. Organizers did a great job, and the weather was perfect, sunny, 84, no humidity, no rain. All I can say, is Meg and I enjoyed every moment of the day. Next game scheduled ORMOND Beach in mid-April we are planning to go.

Good Job for the Northeast Florida Games... you did good.

Collin MacDonald.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a chance that the big Pleasanton Scottish Highland Games may happen. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    If Grandfather Mountain will indeed happen I might make plans to fly back there and attend.

When my mother lived near Johnson City I would visit her and the Games annually.

She moved back to West Virginia almost 30 years ago, and I've not been to those Games since.

I think nearly all the 2021 Games here in California have been cancelled already, so Grandfather Mountain would probably be my only Games this year.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by California Highlander View Post
    I think there is a chance that the big Pleasanton Scottish Highland Games may happen. Fingers crossed.
    Pleasanton is in a "wait and see" mode for now. Woodland is cancelled for this year. Monterey is selling tickets on their website. Those are the big three in Nor Cal. If it really looks like Monterey will happen then I will drive down for it.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to SF Jeff For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    The Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in North Carolina are planning to be held July 8 - 12.
    That's Thursday through Monday. Assuming that the Games themselves are Saturday & Sunday, what events happen on Thursday, Friday, and Monday? (The "events" link on their site doesn't seem to go anywhere.)

I looked up the Pipe Band events on their site, seems they're all on Saturday, so that will be my target.

I checked, Linville is only a 4.5 hour drive from my Mom's house in West Virginia, so I plan to drive down early Saturday and drive back on Sunday, which I did for Loch Norman.

Thanks and hope to see you all there!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th March 21 at 07:52 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Jeff View Post
    Pleasanton is in a "wait and see" mode for now...If it really looks like Monterey will happen then I will drive down for it.
    It's strange I know, but I've been going to California Highland Games since the mid-1970s and I've never been to Monterey.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s the SoCal bands did a Big Three of Santa Monica/Long Beach, San Diego, and Santa Rosa.

Then Queen Mary, Las Vegas, and Seaside were added.

But the bands I've been in have given Woodland and Monterey a pass, even though they would sometimes travel to Arizona.

When I've gone to Woodland it's been on my own, and it was interesting how many bands weren't there. I can't understand why most SoCal bands avoid it, because it's a big Games.

Monterey sounds great if it happens! Though there is a Stranger Things convention in Los Angeles that same weekend...
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th March 21 at 08:05 AM.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    That's Thursday through Monday. Assuming that the Games themselves are Saturday & Sunday, what events happen on Thursday, Friday, and Monday? (The "events" link on their site doesn't seem to go anywhere.)

I looked up the Pipe Band events on their site, seems they're all on Saturday, so that will be my target.

I checked, Linville is only a 4.5 hour drive from my Mom's house in West Virginia, so I plan to drive down early Saturday and drive back on Sunday, which I did for Loch Norman.

Thanks and hope to see you all there!
    My mistake on the Monday. The event is Thursday through Sunday. Saturday is the day of most activity and the day to be there. In times past, Thursday evening was the gathering of the Clans at the Fiery Cross. Keep checking back at the website as it's updated with events. Looking forward to meeting you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast