X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

day plaid

Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Is there anyone out there selling day plaids?

I know I could order up the material and try to fringe and purl the ends myself, but frankly I would prefer to simply buy it if one was available.

Clan.com had a shepherd's check plaid available for awhile, but this has since been removed. Anyway, I'd like one in my own choice of tartan.
    I got my day plaid from USA Kilts. Give them a call or send them an email. They are very responsive and a good company to work with. Time to delivery may depend on what tartan you need. If they have it in stock, I think you will be able to get your plaid very quickly. If they have to order the material from the UK, that may take a little longer...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figheadair, it looks like your fringe is about 3", is that so? I was thinking more like 6".
    No, the previous photograph was work in progress, the finished fringe is 6" and plaited, not purled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201126_Day Plaid.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	39856

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do know, that with your day plaid it will inevitably come from a different bolt of cloth than your kilt and will therefore have slightly different colours. . . .
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    You do know, that with your day plaid it will inevitably come from a different bolt of cloth than your kilt and will therefore have slightly different colours. . . .
    That it almost certainly will. In the rare event that civilians actually wear a day plaid here in Scotland, different colours/shades of the same tartan is not something we fuss about. The Atholl Highlanders the only official private army in Europe when they parade have many different shades , 7 at least, if I recall correctly.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Perhaps, but I think close enough for my needs.

I've ordered a new 8-yard from Lynne Ward of Glasgow (Tartan Couture on Facebook) in the Wilson's Variant of Fraser of Lovat (muted) from Marton Mills. HoE offers the same tartan, but in a lighter 13oz, and it comes at quite a premium. Lynne didn't want to do the matching day plaid, so I think I'll order that from USA Kilts. It's a relatively rare tartan, so frankly I'd be surprised is the cloth did in fact come from a different bolt of cloth, as long as I order soon.

If it does end up varying a but, I don't think I'll be too fussed about it. After all, I'll probably wear it with a non-matching kilt nearly as often as I do with a matching one. :-)

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the fringing is the part I'd be least-comfortable with, so at the end of the day if I wanted to purl the fringe I guess I could.
    Fringing and purling are simple enough that a child could do them. Indeed, I know at least one kiltmaker (who shall remain nameless) who regularly conscripts his young daughters to do it! Seriously, this is nothing to be uncomfortable with. It requires no special tools or skills. All it takes is time. You can do a little each day if free time is not plentiful.

I posted a tutorial on making a day plaid here. That was my first go at it, and I started with just a length of tartan which I fringed and purled. I'll be making another one soon to go with a different kilt, and this one will be plaited rather than purled. Anyway, some other members added some tips and tricks in their replies to my tutorial. Trust me, you can do this yourself. All you need is the tartan material.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    覧覧覧覧覧-

If it does end up varying a but, I don't think I'll be too fussed about it. After all, I'll probably wear it with a non-matching kilt nearly as often as I do with a matching one. :-)
    You every right to decide what you choose to do, but are you proposing to mix tartans of different Clans?

If you are,then, there are some that really could take offence of you doing that. It is entirely your choice, but........

Just saying.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    You every right to decide what you choose to do, but are you proposing to mix tartans of different Clans?

If you are,then, there are some that really could take offence of you doing that. It is entirely your choice, but........

Just saying.
    Never. I do have some universal tartans, but I make a point of not wearing tartans from clans which are not my own. That said, I'm probably only going to buy one day plaid - and wear it when I want to no matter which Fraser tartan is on my kilt.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 4th March 21 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never. I do have some universal tartans, but I make a point of not wearing tartans from clans which are not my own. That said, I'm probably only going to buy one day plaid - and wear it when I want to no matter which Fraser tartan is on my kilt.
    Oh well done. The problem is that whilst the knowledgable will see no problem with what you are intending to do. It is the unknowing that might comment rather loudly---particularly if the beer tent is nearby------- and that can be a tad tricky on occasion.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I posted a tutorial on making a day plaid here. That was my first go at it, and I started with just a length of tartan which I fringed and purled. I'll be making another one soon to go with a different kilt, and this one will be plaited rather than purled. Anyway, some other members added some tips and tricks in their replies to my tutorial. Trust me, you can do this yourself. All you need is the tartan material.
    I just read through your thread, and with your tutorial and Steve's comments, now I want to make one!

What climate do you find that it works in?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast