X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you identify this tartan, please?

This is another online charity action purchase. It is a very nice kilt from Claymore Imports that is in "like new" condition and it fits! When I bought it, I thought it was a variation MacPerson Tartan, and I still think it very likely is, possibly MacPerson Clan from Houston's Own, or MacPerson of Cluny from House of Edgar? But the more I looked, the more I am not sure. MacDonald, Stewart and others all have kilts with the same colors. You will most likely need me to take additional photos because the colors did not come out clear. What looks like black is dark green and dark blue. I would like advice on what light to use (sunlight?).

It appears to be Claymore's 5 yard kilt. The pleats are not top stitched, but it is too light to be an 8 yard kilt. (Correct me if you think I am wrong!) No matter what the clan, I will be happy with the purchase. It is a beautiful kilt, but invariable I will be asked what Tartan it is, and I want to give the correct answer.
    IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0108.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I believe that's a MacDougall tartan (https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/macdougall-modern/), looks good
    To the King over the water

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's MacDougall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bingo!

That is definitely it. MacDougall Modern to be specific, looks like an exact match. Thank you both! This is my first wool kilt. Good thing their are no kilt police, because I don't really have a connection. My Scottish connection is MacPherson. At least we were fellow Jacobites!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    You will most likely need me to take additional photos because the colors did not come out clear. What looks like black is dark green and dark blue. I would like advice on what light to use (sunlight?).
    I have found that the best light for photographing anything with a digital camera is natural light on a slightly overcast day. Indoor lighting is always either too dark or too harsh with glares and shadows. It's too direct of a light source. A cloudy day will give you soft, warm, diffused light so you get the best combination of colours without glares or shadows.

Equally important is the background you use. This will depend on what you're photographing (i.e. its colours, shape, texture, etc.). Digital cameras and their associated processing software can be unkind to your colours when they try to adjust contrast for an overly bright or dark background, or even a different colour that fights with what you're capturing in your photo. You really just have to experiment with your camera and different subjects to find what works best. Not that I'm a professional photographer or anything, but I find there to be a huge difference when subtle changes are made to the lighting and background. And for pity's sake, don't ever use the flash on a camera unless you're a crime scene photographer!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I have found that the best light for photographing anything with a digital camera is natural light on a slightly overcast day. Indoor lighting is always either too dark or too harsh with glares and shadows. It's too direct of a light source. A cloudy day will give you soft, warm, diffused light so you get the best combination of colours without glares or shadows.

Equally important is the background you use. This will depend on what you're photographing (i.e. its colours, shape, texture, etc.). Digital cameras and their associated processing software can be unkind to your colours when they try to adjust contrast for an overly bright or dark background, or even a different colour that fights with what you're capturing in your photo. You really just have to experiment with your camera and different subjects to find what works best. Not that I'm a professional photographer or anything, but I find there to be a huge difference when subtle changes are made to the lighting and background. And for pity's sake, don't ever use the flash on a camera unless you're a crime scene photographer!
    Thanks for the advice! I will take this into account of future posts. What you say definitely makes sense!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    That is definitely it. MacDougall Modern to be specific, looks like an exact match. Thank you both! This is my first wool kilt. Good thing their are no kilt police, because I don't really have a connection. My Scottish connection is MacPherson. At least we were fellow Jacobites!
    Without wishing to go completely off topic, the some MacDougalls no doubt supported the Jacobite cause but the chief was persuaded by the Duke of Argyll (his uncle I believe) to stay out. As a result his house was saved from the widespead post-Culloden desctruction laid on the chiefs that suported the cause. It survives today as part of the now larger Dunollie House.

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Without wishing to go completely off topic, the some MacDougalls no doubt supported the Jacobite cause but the chief was persuaded by the Duke of Argyll (his uncle I believe) to stay out. As a result his house was saved from the widespead post-Culloden desctruction laid on the chiefs that suported the cause. It survives today as part of the now larger Dunollie House.
    I very much appreciate this input. I think it is very important to keep the history accurate. I got my information from Wikipedia, but I did not read carefully enough.

"During the Jacobite rising of 1715 the Clan MacDougall supported the Jacobite cause and fought at the Battle of Sheriffmuir after which the chief was forced into exile but later returned to Scotland to live as a fugitive.[5] He was pardoned in 1727.[5]

His son and next chief, Alexander MacDougall did not take part in the Jacobite rising of 1745.[5] However, his brother and some of the clansmen did indeed fight as Jacobites at the Battle of Culloden in 1746.[5] The fighting force of the clan at this time is given as 200 men.[10]"

DunOllie is another place I will be adding to the list to visit when I get to Scotland.