X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted: real blackcock feather hackles

Thanks,
    John

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only speak about the Northern British Blackcock not the Northern European ones. I have no idea what the situation is with the Northern European ones and what the scale of demand for blackcock feathers is these days.

So here in Scotland is what I can discuss with some knowledge, but I think the story is much the same in Northern England and North Wales too.

Like many other creatures around the world the blackcock are not as plentiful as they were. And NO, the sporting shooter is not really to blame. Yes some are shot almost by accident when they fly over with a covey of red grouse as those not familiar with blackcock do make mistakes.On many shooting estates these days the black grouse are not shot and even where they are shot the greyhen(the female of the species) are specifically left alone. So why are the black grouse not doing so well?

Well the black grouse's natural haunt is the scrubland bordering heather moorland, with contains silver birch, rowan, scrub oak, heather and up to about the last 40 years poor agricultural land where crops of oats and barely was grown. Sadly the fields were too small and not viable for modern farming so they have reverted back to heather and scrub. Also huge tracts of mono forestry were planted and the black grouse have been squeezed that way too. With dire consequences for the black grouse population.

Interestingly, where gamekeepers were plentiful to control the vermin, the moorland edge was not hampered by the forestry and where there was grain to hand the blackgame flourished! It was not unusual to see a couple of hundred blackgame perched of the stooks of oats at harvest helping themselves to the grain And yes! There was for about 100 years a shootable surplus large enough to provide pipe bands, certain Scottish Regiments and tourists black cock feathers most of the time.

I am a shooting man and I have not shot a blackcock for probably 30 years, I have no wish to, so we have a few here, at a guess about 80 birds in total and we enjoy seeing them and just to compare things in 1950's and 60's we would shoot about 100 in the season and had no effect on the population whatsoever. In fact since the 1850's there was a shootable surplus until the black grouse started to become notably scarce
    in 1970's 80's for the reasons given above.

So to answer your question in a short version,I doubt if you are going to find genuine blackcock feathers easily today. You might but for certain sure it won't be from this part of the world.

As an afterthought, Google: House of Labhran and you will find their email address. They have very good contacts and may be able to assist. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th March 21 at 01:10 AM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a contact in Sweden that may be able to supply real black grouse tail feathers from which you could assemble a hackle:

http://www.trappern.se/tyeng/eng/produkter/fluma/fagl/

"Black Grouse Cock – Tail feathers
    I sell only tail feathers from young Black Grouse cocks to fly tyers. All others are advance ordered by the Austrians. The white feathers from the lower rump are suitable for the wings for different dry-flies, and the black ones for wet-flies. The oldest Black Grouse cock tails are much more expensive than the youngest, and are in the most perfect shape of al. The best ones in whole Europe."

Price from: 200 SEK + Postage.

TRAPPERN
    Christian Nilsson
    Solliden 35, S-912 92 Vilhelmina
    004670-235 10 17
    christian.trappern.nilsson@hotmail.com

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also this " GENUINE unmounted black ‘cock feather’".

https://www.walkthisway.co.uk/shop/c...kle-unmounted/