X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a set on EbayUK which the seller says are 1960s Lawrie (Glasgow) but as you can see don't resemble Lawrie pipes in the least. I also doubted the date, as the pipes look more recent. All the Scottish makers AFAIK were using Catalin at that time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255711803292

Notice the distinctive single bead occurring two places on the Tenor tops.

On another site a helpful piper informed us that these pipes are Glencoe (Ontario Canada).

https://www.thebagpipemuseum.com/the-makers/glencoe/

Matt Marshall served an apprenticeship with Lawrie in the 1960s then moved to Canada in the 1970s where he initially made Lawrie-style pipes but soon evolved his own distinct style. It's said he made around 500 sets before getting out of pipemaking by around 1980.

It's said that Glencoe pipes are stamped GLENCOE CANADA in the Bass cord guide.

I tried contacting the Ebay seller but I get a message saying that the seller can't be contacted, which is something I've never seen before in all my Ebay years.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 12th September 22 at 05:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice modern African blackwood pipes by David Booth for under $800US.

Even with the rather expensive post to the USA they're well under a thousand dollars.

I love the plain look, the wood projecting mounts. I'll take wood over plastic any day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11554722568...ndition=4%7C10
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naill pipes with super low starting bid, under $400.

The seller doesn't show the stamps on the drones, but they look like Naill to me.

I can't recall seeing a Naill with that swirly resin imitation ivory. I've seen older Naills with Catalin and newer ones with plain ivory-coloured plastic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22526202319...ndition=4%7C10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I can't recall seeing a Naill with that swirly resin imitation ivory. I've seen older Naills with Catalin and newer ones with plain ivory-coloured plastic.
    I haven't seen Naill pipes with that type of imitation ivory either, but for about 20 years I did own a Naill long ABW practice chanter that had a ferrule and sole made of that material. The chanter was given to me by a colleague in 1982 or '83 and had been bought by him in the mid-1970s.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info!

I know Hardie was using it in the mid-1980s.

As I recall around the late 1970s to 1980 Hardie went from Catalin to a plain plastic which had a slightly greenish tinge when new.

Then they switched to that marble-looking resin which was very easily chipped.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415