X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stone Mountain, GA - Games are on (so far) on October 15 -17, 2021

Greetings,

As of today, not much information is available, but the games are a go so far. One of the largest games on the East Coast is being planned.

http://www.smhg.org/index.php

Here you go, you can keep update, also more current information can be found on their Facebook Page.

Just wanted to keep folks up to date....hope this game goes on....ALWAYS wanted to attend this one.

Cheers.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Collin, when I posted on the thread on closings it was to let folk know the probability of our games being a go. We're a long way out yet, and time for folk to get used to going places again.
    We look forward to the chance to have you up. In normal years we would already be preparing to march in the St. Patrick's parade to hand out fliers, but they've cancelled again. I should soon get a notice about our kickoff meeting for planning and renewal. We lost a cherished committee head over the summer; we'll meet his replacement. Which brings me to the fact that
    some of our volunteers live elsewhere and come to Stone Mountain the Sunday before and spend the week. It's amazing to see such a large undertaking unfold, and the teams are fun and
    wonderful folk. You may feel that would be fun, and they could almost certainly find your skillset useful. Gets you tickets for self and family/friends. Volunteer badge allows you to skip
    lines at gate, and you'll be stopped to meet curious guests, which can be quite entertaining. If that doesn't appeal, be aware the village of Stone Mountain is small, and traffic lines can be a bear. You'll want to be somewhere that allows fairly early arrival.

We look forward to meeting you. As you may know, we always have a meetup for photos, and if you are not planning to attend the dressy event Friday night in Peachtree Corners, we have
    traditionally had a small informal meetup about 20 minutes from the mountain that games eve.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the added informtion, sent you PM....CHEERS.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving along

Progress! Received my invitation for first gathering of volunteers for the Stone Mountain Highland Games for THIS year. YAY! Ever more likely happening this year. Normally in
    an indoor setting near the mountain, outdoors this year in a parking lot in Sandy Springs on the north perimeter, bring your own food. Normal years shared potluck. Recognition
    and joke awards for last games, intro of new/retiring committee chairs, mention of lost members, etc. There is a persistent rumor that various potables have occasionally been
    shared at these gatherings, but I'm reasonably sure this is a vicious rumor based totally on imagined stereotypes.

Should you wish to volunteer, there is info on the SMHG website. Folk come in from varied local areas, but also from out of state. Spend the week with good folk and see the nuts
    and bolts of magic being made, then disassembled and stored Sunday evening and Monday. Free tickets and t-shirts.

The games will be October 15-17. We typically have more than a hundred clan and society tents, usual athletics, piping and dance competitions, lots of bands. Large vendor section.
    If you've not been to a big games, it's a good one to take in. Most years good weather, beautiful site.

To one and all: Y'all come. Enjoy.

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do y'all think about travelling to Norcross for the events (like the Saturday ceilidh) at the host hotel vs. simply staying at the park after hours? It's a pretty long round trip, and we were planning to camp, but if it's worth going back and forth, we'll make it work.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stone Mountain Highland Games

Tickets are now on sale on the SMHG web-site.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SMHG after hours

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    What do y'all think about travelling to Norcross for the events (like the Saturday ceilidh) at the host hotel vs. simply staying at the park after hours? It's a pretty long round trip, and we were planning to camp, but if it's worth going back and forth, we'll make it work.
    Never been to the ceilidh, (I agree it is unfortunately too far way.) We usually stay at one of the park hotels, but are camping this year. The SMHG host families for Clan MacLaren will all be camping this year so stop by. (We're usually pretty easy to find.) ALSO: The park changed the numbering on the campsites this past year. Your site wont have changed but the number most likely did. You may want to call the park and find out the new number.
    Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

JPS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i look forward to seeing everyone....will our chief be attending ?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    What do y'all think about travelling to Norcross for the events (like the Saturday ceilidh) at the host hotel
    I live in Norcross between I-85 and the Hilton., probably six minutes from hotel. It's generally about 20-30 minutes to the park, depending on route and traffic. In Atlanta terms,
    that's pretty close; however, I-85, I-285, and the Stone Mtn. freeway are all unpredictable. At any time of the day or night, they can and do become parking lots. There are about
    18,248 different ways to get around that, but the satnav systems don't understand trucks need to stay on main roads, and Atlanta paved deer and cattle trails and ridgelines, so most
    roads meander to some unexpected place and you need to know the other 326 ways to get there. Clear so far?

At six/seven on Sat. evening, Stone Mtn. freeway will usually be quite busy, but flowing. North of merge onto 285 is the merge to 85, generally backing up then. Staying in left two lanes
    should keep you moving somewhere between 45 and 85 mph. Did I mention that Atlanta traffic is quite fast when flowing? The merge off 285 onto Hwy. 141 to the hotel does back up
    a bit much of the time, so start moving right just past I-85, as merging traffic from I-85 onto 285 complicates the exit onto 141. 141 usually moves at or above posted limit of 55. Not
    an awful trip, but depends on your comfort level with six and eight lanes. Each way. Most of the trip is three lanes each way, but there's a reason the I-85/I-285 interchange is called
    Spaghetti Junction (see satellite view on maps).

As an alternate, exit park in opposite direction, first exit (West Park Place), left onto Rockbridge to Lawrenceville Hwy., rt., left onto Indian Trail, left onto Beaver Ruin into Norcross. Rt. past City Hall, left after RR, rt. onto Holcomb Bridge to 141 North, right, at light u-turn back to Hilton. About the same distance, little more time, still some sanity on arrival. I've never made the ceilidh as I'm usually still in the meadow or parking lot in conversation.

Apologies for length, not a simple question.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 14th September 21 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post

Apologies for length, not a simple question.
    No apology necessary. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We decided that, since we live in Snellville, were going to forgo the campsite and just stay at home during the games. That way we're 20 minutes from Stone Mountain, and we're 20 minutes from the host hotel, so we'll be able to play the ceilidh by ear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast