X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old tartans were "simple and earthy"

I was wondering about the tartan Liam Neeson wears in the film Rob Roy.

The television series Outlander and the film Braveheart have cemented D C Dalgleish's "reproduction" colour scheme, which he devised in 1949, in the public mind as to what 18th century and earlier tartans looked like.

The tartan in the film Rob Roy takes us to a time before those shows appeared, and in light of that it's interesting to see what sort of tartan they used.

I found a New York Times article about the tartan which included:

Sandy Powell, the costume designer for "Rob Roy," decided to steer clear of controversy over the MacGregor tartan. She devised her own "setts," or ginghamlike checks. "It was very difficult to find an original tartan dating back to the period that the director liked the looks of," she said, referring to Michael Caton-Jones, "and it was easier to make one up so it wouldn't be wrong. In that day and age, tartans didn't exist as we know them. The tartans were earthy, and designs were simple."

The "earthy" notion conjures Dalgleish's "reproduction" range, while the "simple design" notion is on all fours with the Allen Brother's ideas. Both notions of course post-date the period of the film.

(As an aside the buckle Liam Neeson wore, coloured silver and worn back-to-front, is the same buckle worn by two characters in Game Of Thrones, The Mountain and Ser Barristan, the latter having been modified.)

Last edited by OC Richard; 9th March 21 at 03:51 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What stand out to me is that the Rob Roy tartan is a plain weave, instead of twill as it would have been.

As to design and colors, I've found that it is very difficult to convince people who are wrong of their error on this topic...

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I was wondering about the tartan Liam Neeson wears in the film Rob Roy.

I found a New York Times article about the tartan which included:

Sandy Powell, the costume designer for "Rob Roy," decided to steer clear of controversy over the MacGregor tartan. She devised her own "setts," or ginghamlike checks. "It was very difficult to find an original tartan dating back to the period that the director liked the looks of," she said, referring to Michael Caton-Jones, "and it was easier to make one up so it wouldn't be wrong. In that day and age, tartans didn't exist as we know them. The tartans were earthy, and designs were simple."
    I was commissioned to provide historical tartan advice for the film and worked with Sandy Powell (she was also the costume designer for The Last Emperor and Last of the Mohicans). I showed her a number of specimens broadly contemporary with Roy Roy, including the so-called MacGregor of Glengyle, Roy Roy's branch of the clan. She loved all of them but unfortunately, she was overruled by the director.

I vividly remember her comment about the Deeside sett, that it was beautiful by she couldn’t use it because ‘the Director wouldn’t have Liam Neeson in pink’!

In the end they commission a new ‘traditional’ tartan Designed and woven by Gordon Covell of The Islay Woollen Mill. Of course, the resulting design and cloth was anything by traditional, especially for a man of Rob Roy’s status.

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I was commissioned to provide historical tartan advice for the film and worked with Sandy Powell...I showed her a number of specimens broadly contemporary with Roy Roy...She loved all of them but unfortunately she was overruled by the director.
    That's typical Hollywood, they hire expert consultants then overrule the advice they give!

Every film where a uniform is incorrect, where a doctor does something no doctor would do, where a firearm is used in a way that no-one familiar with that firearm would do there's an expert telling the director "that's not how it would be".

I was present at one of those times where the director actually listened to the experts. For the film The Onion Field they filmed a sequence that was supposed to take place at a Highland Games.

They hired several local Pipe Bands (including mine) and actual Highland Dancers etc to make the Games as realistic as possible.

But for the Highland Dancing competition they had hired an accordion player!! (They must have seen an Irish dance competition somewhere.)

The director was seated with a camera operator up on a crane for a crane shot of the Games, and a crowd of pipers and dancers began yelling up at him that a piper has to play for the Highland dancers! The director, to his credit, got rid of the accordion player (who still got paid of course) and an experienced dance piper took his place at the dance stage.

In any case yes for any film Rob Roy included there's an Art Director who in conjunction with the Director had established a palette for the film, and obviously none of the historical tartans matched that palette.

Doesn't surprise me that the Costumer loved them! Costume people love to study actual historical clothing and incorporate it into their designs.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th March 21 at 08:15 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wince when I see one particular longsword team with the swords in their left hands.

Although I am kerry handed, people simply were not allowed to be left handed up to maybe a century ago.

Women would not go out of their front door bare headed and wearing an apron. My mother would always put on leather shoes, brush her hair and put on a head scarf, take off her cardigan and apron and put on a jacket then put her purse into a bag even if she was only going to the shop which was about seven doors away down the road. Very Jane Austen.

Having done a little research into costume myself, the amount of knitting in eras where it simply did not exist in that form, or at all, is annoying, and dressing characters in fabrics they would never have worn - either too poor or too rich - just scandalous.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old dyes used before the Industrial Revolution that were derived from plants, sea shells and minerals (... and fixed with urine!) would have given old weavings a very different look. Synthetic chemical dyes have been around so long now that we take those bright, saturated colours like you see in a Royal Stewart or Buchanan tartan for granted as normal and traditional. They've only been around for a couple of hundred years but we've pretty much forgotten what the colours that are derived from nature even look like, anymore. Also, the wide colour palate available to today's weavers didn't exist back then either and the wild and wonderful combinations available now would have been beyond their wildest imaginings.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I always wince when I see one particular longsword team with the swords in their left hands.

Although I am kerry handed, people simply were not allowed to be left handed up to maybe a century ago.

Anne the Pleater
    No, Anne, not even a century ago. At least to the mid-fifties left-handed at my school were forced to write with their right hand.

Otherwise, you are spot on.

Greg.
    Greg

Kilted for comfort, difference, look, variety and versatility

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    No, Anne, not even a century ago. At least to the mid-fifties left-handed at my school were forced to write with their right hand.

Otherwise, you are spot on.

Greg.
    I have a twin brother who is left-handed (we are "mirror twins"). Even in the 1970s and 1980s when we were growing up, they were trying to get him to overcome his genetic deficiency (as they saw it), making him write with his right hand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I have a twin brother who is left-handed (we are "mirror twins"). Even in the 1970s and 1980s when we were growing up, they were trying to get him to overcome his genetic deficiency (as they saw it), making him write with his right hand.
    I'm really sorry and frankly annoyed to hear that. I started teaching in 1972 and would never have considered such nonsense. If you're a southie, that's just fine with me and always was.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I'm a twin, my brother is right handed I'm a leftie. They never tried to change me from that. I am glad that they didn't that is until I write with pencil and get it all over myself. ;)

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast