X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inveran house bagpipes

Hello
    This is my 1st post, wanted to know if anybody had any expierence or opinions about Inveran bagpipes? Jimmy Tweedie. I will be inhereting a set and when I recieve I will take some pictures. Currently I play with ca. 1937 Henderson pipes the Inveran's are 1997? I believe. Thankyou

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

You might also want to post your question in the Celtic Music Subforum - might get a bit more action/response there.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

You might also want to post your question in the Celtic Music Subforum - might get a bit more action/response there.
    How do I do that? I am not very tech savvy. I apologize

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Browne View Post
    How do I do that? I am not very tech savvy. I apologize
    Please don't apologize! You can reach that particular forum here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f106/ and get the whole list of forums (fora?) by clicking the XMarks logo at the top left of the page.

Cheers, and enjoy!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Please don't apologize! You can reach that particular forum here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f106/ and get the whole list of forums (fora?) by clicking the XMarks logo at the top left of the page.

Cheers, and enjoy!
    oooo!! ok thankyou so much Sir.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Brian Browne For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replied to Brian's moved post, in case you didn't see it there, here it is:

It's complicated!

The Bagpipe Place Museum says that Jim Tweedie left Hugh MacPherson to form his own firm, Inveran House, in the 1970s. Tweedie had worked as a turner for both William Sinclair (Leith) and Hugh MacPherson (Edinburgh) before striking out on his own.

https://www.thebagpipemuseum.com/Tweedie.html

But at some point Brian Donaldson (ex-Scots Guards Pipe Major) took over Inveran House and moved it to the USA.

Here he is in a YouTube video explaining his relocation to the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZOcnRgFQhw&t=11s

Here's a video where he shows his shop and his 200-year-old lathe. I didn't know that he apprenticed as a pipe maker prior to joining the Scots Guards. After 22 years he retired from the army and went back to pipemaking, acquiring Inveran House and all of Jimmie Tweedie's tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWYtBKi3K9s&t=142s
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Tweedie had worked as a turner for both William Sinclair (Leith) and Hugh MacPherson (Edinburgh) before striking out on his own
    Apologies for going off topic, but this line reminds me how many surnames are trade names. Weaver and Smith are pretty straight forward, but names like Turner, Fletcher,
    and Faulkner are fairly common, but less obvious. Might be of interest to those newly setting sail into genealogy.

The real reason for logging in today instead of just touristing through is to say thanks to OC Richard for taking the time to fill us in. A pleasure to benefit from the breadth
    of interest, the depth of experience, and research ability made available here.