X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! Yes, I'll be able to place the order on Wednesday and both makers seem to have a 6-10 week window, so I believe I should be OK. I am at this time leaning towards USA Kilts. The quality for price seems very good and they have a 3 week rush order option that I might take advantage of.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Bakuda For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakuda View Post
    The quality for price seems very good and they have a 3 week rush order option that I might take advantage of.
    The rush option is well worth it.

Have you worn a kilt before? They tend to be far more comfortable worn much higher than you'd expect if you've never worn one. There's a huge difference in comfort between wearing it at your actual anatomical waist vs. wearing it lower. I'm fairly high-waisted, which puts my waist above my navel and covering a couple of the false ribs at the bottom of my ribcage. The reason I ask is that this is really easy to mess up if you're not used to wearing a kilt, and knowing where you're going to wear it makes a huge difference for how you measure.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    The rush option is well worth it.

Have you worn a kilt before? They tend to be far more comfortable worn much higher than you'd expect if you've never worn one. There's a huge difference in comfort between wearing it at your actual anatomical waist vs. wearing it lower. I'm fairly high-waisted, which puts my waist above my navel and covering a couple of the false ribs at the bottom of my ribcage. The reason I ask is that this is really easy to mess up if you're not used to wearing a kilt, and knowing where you're going to wear it makes a huge difference for how you measure.
    Thanks for the advice! I've never worn one before and want to be extra sure I do everything right! I called USA Kilts today. Very friendly! They answered all of my questions and are even allowing me to pay half up front and half on delivery, which is extremely helpful as I'm preparing to move.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Welcome from Western Canada!
    Hello! I lived in BC for a brief time earlier in life. Loved it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice! I've never worn one before and want to be extra sure I do everything right!
    Well, you've come to the right place! Lots of people here who can help point you in the right direction to get started. Don't be afraid to ask "silly" questions - we've all been there, and the folks here are very friendly.

I called USA Kilts today. Very friendly! They answered all of my questions and are even allowing me to pay half up front and half on delivery, which is extremely helpful as I'm preparing to move.
    Yeah, their customer service is excellent.

Re: waist height - here are a few threads that might help explain things:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...uestion-96259/

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...rn-kilt-96631/

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-method-96480/

And if you need a few ideas of kilt outfits, this thread has lots of them:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...entures-72206/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After digging through the forum I’ve decided to follow to the advice I’ve seen repeated time and again: keep it simple. I’ve got some fairly new shoes for my current suit that will shine up nice. Already have a white shirt. I’m going to try and find an ex-hire jacket and waist coat to purchase. My question now is the tie and hose. My tartan is Smith (it’s my profile picture). I’m going with black leather shoes and sporran. Should I get hose to match? Should I get a black tie or navy blue? And finally, solid or matching tartan flashes?

Thanks for all of your help! I’ve already learned so much here and am avoiding some pitfalls I would have surely fallen into.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bakuda For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After digging through the forum I’ve decided to follow to the advice I’ve seen repeated time and again: keep it simple. I’ve got some fairly new shoes for my current suit that will shine up nice. Already have a white shirt. I’m going to try and find an ex-hire jacket and waist coat to purchase. My question now is the tie and hose. My tartan is Smith (it’s my profile picture). I’m going with black leather shoes and sporran. Should I get hose to match? Should I get a black tie or navy blue? And finally, solid or matching tartan flashes?

Thanks for all of your help! I’ve already learned so much here and am avoiding some pitfalls I would have surely fallen into.
    First, I would check with your partner about what will work for the colour schemes for the wedding.

But, I would avoid black (or cream) hose and go with a solid colour if you're keeping it simple. You could easily go with hose that pick up a colour in your kilt (although you certainly don't have to) and if I were you, I'd lean toward tartan green if your partner would like more subdued or you could easily go with yellow, red or lighter blue. If any of those work with the colours for the wedding, that's the route I would go. As for flashes, I prefer ties but flashes also work. However, I'd avoid tartan flashes and go with a solid colour.

For the tie, this will depend on the type of jacket you go with. If a Prince Charlie, then a black bow tie would be in order (as would tux shirt with studs or covered buttons, turndown collar and French cuffs).

If an Argyle (assuming black barathea) then I'd go with a solid colour long tie and again, use the colours for the wedding to decide what to go with here. I would also use those to inform pocket square choice (although not matching the tie).

Congratulations, all the best!

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 17th March 21 at 05:33 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the wedding is in the daytime then it might be best not to wear a PC and tartan flashes are best avoided at all times.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th March 21 at 05:46 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast