X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakuda View Post
    Thanks for all of your advice! I kept the vest but returned the jacket to exchange it for a smaller size. I’m hoping the smaller size will also help with the long sleeves. I hated to spend that much on international shipping but it had to be done. I’m just glad that I got it early enough that I could make this change.

I’m moving in two weeks so things are crazy right now, but after the move I plan on getting those straps and buckles moved on the kilt. I believe this will fix the issue of the kilt sitting too low. Should I do this by hand or can I machine this?

Once I get everything done I’ll post a new update. Things are coming together and I’m so excited! I could not have done this without all of your help. Thank you so much!
    This is why I generally don’t like to buy from the UK and prefer items shipped from Canada or the US. Often the items are still made in the UK but I have someone closer to deal with if something goes south.

I actually came to this perspective after buying a used kilt from kilts4less. I didn’t like the fit and return shipping would have been half the cost of the kilt. Lesson learned.

USAkilts is a good source. Their jackets are made in the UK and if you get a standard size (not made to measure) they should have a quick turnaround on exchanging it if the fit isn’t right and their shipping is low in general within the US but is even better now since it’s currently free.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for another update!

I waited as long as I could before emailing Craig at Kilts4less to discuss my upcoming wedding. Everyone here says they have the best customer support and I agree! The next day I had a delivery confirmation in my inbox and 4 days later the new jacket was at my door. This one fits much nicer!

Today I altered my kilt to make it tighter. I saw one tutorial recently that suggested pulling the tape snug when measuring. I did not do this which may be why it is too loose. After 2 hours and some cursing I finally got the left strap moved. I tried it on before moving the right buckles and it now fits very snugly. In fact, it fits so well I don’t see a reason to move the buckles, which is fine by me because those looked much harder than the strap. Is there anything wrong with moving only the strap and not the buckles?

And finally I have an observation. I do notice that after a while the kilt seems to sit heavy on my stomach. I feel like my gut is carrying all the weight and it does get fatigued. Is this a sign that I am wearing it wrong or is this just part of a larger guy wearing a kilt?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamish

Glad to hear that the kilt fits much better, and very glad to hear that the jacket worked out. Please post photos when you get the chance. As for the fatigue, perhaps that is the reason or perhaps it is simply that you are not used to the way the kilt feels, not sure. I think moving the straps and not the buckles should be fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I do notice that after a while the kilt seems to sit heavy on my stomach. I feel like my gut is carrying all the weight and it does get fatigued. Is this a sign that I am wearing it wrong or is this just part of a larger guy wearing a kilt?"

Suspenders would help with this. You might want to think about getting suspender buttons sewn in. If you are wearing a vest, they will not be visible.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, things are really coming together! Regarding the belly issues, in adjusting things today I realized that I overcorrected and was wearing the kilt just a little high. The strap now rests on the hip bone with the top of the kilt just above the navel. It sits there quite nicely now.

The other fix regards my sporran. When I received my sporran I found that the strap was just barely too small. So I ordered a new strap. Unfortunately they were out of straps so I got a chain. I hated the way the chain cut under my gut. It was uncomfortable! Well, today I was at the local leather shop to see if I could find anything to help and saw the perfect thing. A simple leather dog collar the exact same width as my sporran strap. $10 later I had a strap extender that works perfectly. It is now so comfortable!

My wedding is in 2 days and everything is finally ready to go. Thanks to all of the rabble that have helped me the past few months. You have been amazing! I’ll share pictures shortly after the big day. Huzzah!!!

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Bakuda For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect! Everyones' bodies are different, so sometimes it just takes a bit of getting used to to find out how best to make things work for you. Good luck on the big day! Looking forward to pictures.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789