X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    A bit later than that- but not much. The radios look like 27MHZ portable CB radios. I'd date them 65-70. Still a large radio to hang off one's belt. It's not until the mid-seventies and the CB radio craze that the smaller radios are created but they still need huge antennas ( because 27 MHZ).
    I'm with you. I don't know much about CB radios, but the cars up on the hill look like 69-early 70s to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinter View Post
    In this photo, the radios they are using are around 1960 vintage:
    Attachment 39887
    Held on, or adjacent to, a farm; noting the electric fence insulator on the fence-post.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dale-of-Cedars For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are fascinating photos.

Having only the Massed Band photo to go by (due to knowing nothing about radios) there are some interesting things.

The bands from left to right

1) Balmorals, white shirts, horsehair sporrans, spats.
    2) Balmorals, white shirts, small sporrans, white or offwhite hose.
    3) Glengarries?, white shirts, leather sporrans, tan hose.
    4) unknown bonnets, white shirts, leather sporrans, tan? hose.
    5) Glengarries? white shirts, horsehair sporrans, dark hose.
    6) "ladies" band, unknown bonnets, pale blue shirts, leather sporrans, white hose.
    7) feather bonnets, white (#3) tunics, plaids, horsehair sporrans, spats.
    8) 18th century uniforms.

In the main this photo shows the way pipe bands dressed around here in the mid-1970s when I first started piping.

The civilian pipe bands, for dressy events, generally wore either military #1 dress or civilian Evening Dress, but for Highland Games, due to it being warm here, bands usually wore shirts (sans waistcoat or jacket) as seen here.

There are two bands with white/offwhite hose which around here didn't take off until the 1980s, though I know Canadian bands were wearing them in the 1970s.

The standard Day hose colours available back then were few, all we could get here were Lovat blue, Lovat green, tan, and offwhite, the very ones seen in this photo.

I think the best way to identify the photo is to identify the historical band in 18th century costume. Such bands are very few and far between. I do believe that the only such band I've seen is the 78th Frasers band in Canada. (There are, I think, at least three 78th Frasers pipe bands in Canada, one of them wears 18th century garb.)

BTW dressing a pipe band in 18th century military uniform looks cool but is an anachronism, as the emergence of pipe bands was several decades in the future.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th March 21 at 05:06 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks.

I did a quick search of newspapers, and it appears there is a field in Vermont by the Canadian border where they have the games, so having Canadian bands in the picture would not surprise me. It is only about a 1 hour drive north.

The field is before the 1000 Island Bridge border crossing. It has more trees than these photos, so I don't think that's this place.
    Great input, I will keep searching for the 78th Frasers band in Canada during that era, that might help zero in on it.
    Thanks..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quechee Vermont is the town I was trying to think of. And I do think those are the Mohawk Valley Frasers Band. I used to know some of those guys back in the late 70's, and the uniform was distinctive (I'm sure that's the word I want).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been attending Highland Games for many years here in New England.

New Hampshire started about 1975 but I don't think it was that big in the beginning although now it is the largest in the northeast.

Quechee has been held on the polo field there for 50 years, so dates back to 1970, but the field doesn't look right to me, too many big buildings in the trees.

There used to be a Western Massachusetts games in Greenfield MA. It was held on a big field and in the later years there was a grandstand which might have been behind the photographer.

Round Tree in Norwalk (now moved to Salisbury) is a very old games, but again the field doesn't look quite right.

Sorry , but I just don't recognize that field. It is bigger than any games I've seen here.

Regards,
    CTB
    Last edited by ctbuchanan; 21st March 21 at 11:25 AM.
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinter View Post
    In this photo, the radios they are using are around 1960 vintage:
    Attachment 39887
    The yellow tent in the background is what caught my eye. That's a 4 pole semi-geodesic dome tent, first introduced in 1976, and they were extremely rare (and expensive) in the 70's, when cabin tents and A frames still ruled the family car-camping market. Unless you were a hardcore backpacker or mountain climber, you probably didn't have a tent like that until the mid to late 80's when REI made them popular (and affordable). It almost looks out of place with the rest of the picture.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Jeff View Post
    The yellow tent in the background is what caught my eye. That's a 4 pole semi-geodesic dome tent, first introduced in 1976, and they were extremely rare (and expensive) in the 70's, when cabin tents and A frames still ruled the family car-camping market. Unless you were a hardcore backpacker or mountain climber, you probably didn't have a tent like that until the mid to late 80's when REI made them popular (and affordable). It almost looks out of place with the rest of the picture.
    Also, those polypropylene tarps were new in the early 70's and only started to take off around then.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12