X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    I have an “Autumn tweed” kilt but in retrospect I think that the Patriot Tyne would be a better all-around choice that will blend with more colors.
    Do you have a picture of yourself in the kilt? I’d like to get an idea of what it looks like outside a photo studio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I like the top one better.

Marton Mills has a very nice selection of tweed, any of which could be used for kilts, I do believe.

https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/

Your top kilt might be the one on the MM tweed page called "Autumn". I think it's a variant of Buchanan.

https://martonmills.com/product/autumn/

I recently got a USA Kilts kilt in Hunting Stewart Weathered tartan in Marton Mills tweed.

https://martonmills.com/product/stew...ing-weathered/

It instantly became my favourite kilt! It looks beautiful and has a lovely texture and feel.

The exact fabric is on the MM page I linked to above. It's listed as 475 grams which is around 16oz.

That tweed is lovely!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the two the OP posted, my personal favorite would be the first one. It just has more visual definition to the pattern, which is how I selected the cloth for my first kilt. If I'm purchasing patterned cloth, I want to see what the pattern is. Too dark or too "weathered" and the pattern starts to become indecipherable, and then why would you buy it over plain cloth?
    Your second sample is much more weathered and washed out. If your priority is to have the most weathered tartan tweed, then that's your winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Of the two the OP posted, my personal favorite would be the first one. It just has more visual definition to the pattern, which is how I selected the cloth for my first kilt. If I'm purchasing patterned cloth, I want to see what the pattern is. Too dark or too "weathered" and the pattern starts to become indecipherable, and then why would you buy it over plain cloth?
    Your second sample is much more weathered and washed out. If your priority is to have the most weathered tartan tweed, then that's your winner.
    I hear that, and I agree. The first kilt I ordered in recent memory was my Fraser Hunting Weathered, and honestly it's my least favorite at this point. Love the kilt, well made, but I just prefer a tartan that pops.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    I just prefer a tartan that pops.
    Due to me playing in Pipe Bands most of my life I've always had a kilt that pops in my closet, issued to me by a band.

So for a personal kilt I wanted to get as far away from that as I could: a soft tweed earth-toned kilt.

I hadn't thought about it before, but it does seem to be a thing with many Pipe Band people, that their personal kilt looks quite different from their band kilt.

I know Pipe Band people with plain black kilts, with Spirit Of Scotland kilts, with Isle Of Skye kilts, with Weathered Colours kilts. In each case their band kilts are brilliant red tartans!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Due to me playing in Pipe Bands most of my life I've always had a kilt that pops in my closet, issued to me by a band.

So for a personal kilt I wanted to get as far away from that as I could: a soft tweed earth-toned kilt.

I hadn't thought about it before, but it does seem to be a thing with many Pipe Band people, that their personal kilt looks quite different from their band kilt.

I know Pipe Band people with plain black kilts, with Spirit Of Scotland kilts, with Isle Of Skye kilts, with Weathered Colours kilts. In each case their band kilts are brilliant red tartans!
    That makes a lot of sense, Richard. I've always worn subdued colors, so I think it's nice to finally be wearing something bright. Funny how our feelings change on things!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's about getting more bang for the buck, I guess one could say.

Kilts are very expensive items! And I've only ever owned a couple at a time.

If I'm going to own only one kilt I want something as close to my "ideal kilt" as possible.

Then if I'm going to purchase a 2nd kilt I want it as different from the 1st kilt as possible.

For decades I've played in Pipe Bands with strong red kilts. So around ten years ago when I finally decided to buy a kilt I went for Isle Of Skye due to its soft pretty colours.

When recently I found out about Stewart ancestry and decided to buy a Stewart kilt I knew I wanted Weathered Colours, due to me always liking that look but never owning a Weathered kilt.

For sure if the shoe had been on the other foot- if I had played in the Glasgow Skye Association Pipe Band for years- when it was time to buy my own kilt I would have gone for a brilliant red tartan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxpoLWOAoQ
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th March 21 at 05:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    Hey all- I’m interested in getting a tweed kilt from USA kilts, and I’m torn between this one:
    Attachment 39892
    and this:
    Attachment 39893

I ordinarily lean toward weathered tartans (my favorite is weathered Black Watch)- what do you think would be the better choice?

Thanks in advance!
    I would pick the one with more vibrant colors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the brighter tartan, thank you all for your honest feedback and enlightening pictures!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast