X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I went for Isle Of Skye due to its soft pretty colours.
    Me too, plus I traced my mom's ancestry back to Skye and MacLeod of Harris, Beaton sept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's about getting more bang for the buck, I guess one could say.

Kilts are very expensive items! And I've only ever owned a couple at a time.

If I'm going to own only one kilt I want something as close to my "ideal kilt" as possible.

Then if I'm going to purchase a 2nd kilt I want it as different from the 1st kilt as possible.

For decades I've played in Pipe Bands with strong red kilts. So around ten years ago when I finally decided to buy a kilt I went for Isle Of Skye due to its soft pretty colours.

When recently I found out about Stewart ancestry and decided to buy a Stewart kilt I knew I wanted Weathered Colours, due to me always liking that look but never owning a Weathered kilt.

For sure if the shoe had been on the other foot- if I had played in the Glasgow Skye Association Pipe Band for years- when it was time to buy my own kilt I would have gone for a brilliant red tartan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxpoLWOAoQ
    Agreed, on all points. Do you happen to know what tartan they're wearing? Looks almost like a weathered variant of Isle of Skye.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Do you happen to know what tartan they're wearing? Looks almost like a weathered variant of Isle of Skye.
    Now that would be cool, Isle Of Skye Weathered!

I'm pretty sure their kilts are MacLeod of Harris Weathered

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that would be cool, Isle Of Skye Weathered!
    I have often wondered if I would like that. I love weathered tartans but IoS is all about the color.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Jeff View Post
    I have often wondered if I would like that. I love weathered tartans but IoS is all about the color.
    I should try it on one of those tartan generator things.

In Weathered, the dark green or "tartan green" of Modern becomes brown.

IoS has three different shades of green, so we're talking three shades of brown.

But IoS already has brown! What are we to do? Perhaps made the brown of IoS a rust.

In Weathered, the dark blue of Modern becomes grey.

IoS has no blue, but has purple. I suppose the purple would become the same grey that blue becomes?

The white/extremely pale grey would stay the same.

It would be a very tricky balancing act getting all those subtly different colours to work together, yet not blend together.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th April 21 at 07:51 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received the tweed kilt from USAkilts this weekend, and wore it to work (I’m a teacher).

The craftsmanship is superb, and the colors are lovely. Thank you all for your input in this purchase!

1697A988-D553-4E3E-90DF-3E2D360EA6C1.jpg
    Trying to avoid “looking like a refugee from a pantomime.” (hat tip Jock Scot)

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! That's a great looking kilt, and a great looking outfit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wondering at the reaction in class

Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    I received the tweed kilt from USAkilts this weekend, and wore it to work (I’m a teacher).

The craftsmanship is superb, and the colors are lovely. Thank you all for your input in this purchase!

1697A988-D553-4E3E-90DF-3E2D360EA6C1.jpg
    I wanted to ask you what was the reception when you showed up in kilt? have you brought a kilt before to class? I am a high school teacher and I wonder what the reaction would be if I show up in kilt. What is the name of the cloth you ordered for the kilt? it is beautiful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casaluz View Post
    I wanted to ask you what was the reception when you showed up in kilt? have you brought a kilt before to class? I am a high school teacher and I wonder what the reaction would be if I show up in kilt. What is the name of the cloth you ordered for the kilt? it is beautiful
    The tartan name (from the USAkilts website) is: MM - CGE213

As for the reception, I’ve worn kilts infrequently over the last few years, and the reception is mixed. Many compliment, some make comments to deride, but the majority are either silent or appreciative. Expect the kilt to be a distraction the first time you wear it to class, but the effect dissipates with exposure to the garment. Confidence helps.

I’m also in CA, to the East of you in the Central Valley near Modesto, but I’d expect your reception would be close to my experience. That being said, I wore it to campus during our distance learning days to give the staff a chance to react before I broke it out for an on-campus day.

At the end of the day, I wouldn’t wear it if it were an ongoing distraction to learning, but that hasn’t been my experience.
    Trying to avoid “looking like a refugee from a pantomime.” (hat tip Jock Scot)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post

A very nice looking kilt I must say. Well done!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast