X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flourishes ... watch one of the Scottish regiments parading in their home streets, arms shouldered. They beat the living stuffing out of their bass drums. Not much of that pansy flourishy stuff, there. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! ... presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S00SFXh_ThI
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mick Hay, the former Senior Drum Major, the Royal Regiment of Scotland, discusses his Army career and his new role here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJbLpvO0bg

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Grump is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well worth the watch. I am always amazed at the memories anyone who has had anything to do with piping hold on to and most of them remember the youngsters. I have been to competitions and seen five and six year olds compete. It's wonderfull to watch and it sticks with you in your mind youngsters either playing the chanter or playing kitchen pipes. The youngsters with faux pipes marching alongside a pipe band. Who can say maybe a drum major in the making!
    Piping Is Life!....The rest doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    Flourishes ... watch one of the Scottish regiments parading in their home streets, arms shouldered. They beat the living stuffing out of their bass drums. Not much of that pansy flourishy stuff, there. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! ... presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S00SFXh_ThI
    To me, that pretty well beats the tar out of just about any other display. Thanks for the share.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting, watching the USMC Drum Major. Obviously in command, getting every detail just so, before starting off on the long grueling Tournament Of Roses Parade.

He does do a bit of flourishing as you see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sib90fgeojE
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    Mick Hay, the former Senior Drum Major, the Royal Regiment of Scotland, discusses his Army career and his new role here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJbLpvO0bg
    Very cool.

What's this "light-up mace" that everybody but he knew about?

Another local lad makes good, Drum Major Kevin Conquest, US Coast Guard, second DM from right at the 2019 Edinburgh Tattoo

Last edited by OC Richard; 10th May 21 at 08:03 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your USMC program hit a nerve. DM aside the ignorance of some people in this day and age to let horses lead a band, brass or pipe, is disgusting. Horse crap and spats
    DO NOT mix especially if you have had to clean up after.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grump For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    ... to let horses lead a band is disgusting. Horse crap and spats do not mix...
    Fully agree, I've been there done that many times in my misspent youth, in a Pipe Band marching in a parade behind a huge Equestrian Unit, and the nasty green-brown your previously white spats become.

Though in truth I'm not sure what's worse, marching behind a group of horses or marching behind a group of Clowns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pondered the question about what makes a good DM and every time I think about being led it was in most cases an older person with a great deal of life experiences. Someone who could listen to the PM, and could remember what directions were being given, impeccable timing, who knew the music being played, which would mean they were either a drummer or a piper previous. The ability to think on your feet and on the move to get the people behind you out of a difficult situation. Being six foot six might be helpfull. I'm sure there must be more but alas I've run out.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Grump For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12