X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member in need of advice/items.

Hello everyone!

I just ordered my first kilt and to say I'm excited it quite the understatement. With the 6-10 week turn around, I figured I now had time to work on the rest of the items needed. So if anyone has suggestions or items for sale I would love work with people who aren't going to try to sell me a $14 plastic sporran off amazon. Currently, I am looking for a day sporran, best, buckle and kilt pin.

Thank you for all the great reading I've already done of the forum and I cant wait to get started on this adventure!

Capt.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working with your list, the least important bit of kit is the kilt pin. Most like them, some don't, but one thing for certain sure, a kilt pin is not in the least bit necessary, it serves no function other than add a wee tad of bling to your attire. The rest on your list is necessary, to a greater or lesser extent, but hurry slowly and buy the best that you can afford. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th March 21 at 11:45 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you would care to look at the advertisers banners on the top, side and bottom of every page of this forum. These are the proven leaders in the kilt world today.
    None of them deal with junk and all of them are proven to be honest in all their business dealings.

Check them out. Perhaps you can find what you are looking for.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Here's what I did. I did lurk for a while building my knowledge base.
    O.C. Richard's thread on sporrans gives great insight for buying a quality sporran. Read it, pay attention and then one can shop Ebay, Etsy or even Amazon with an eye for quality. There are sporran deals that pop up even on shopgoodwill.com. Take your time- you've go a few weeks before you need it.
    I'd also not worry a great deal about the belt/buckle. If you've been paying attention, a properly fitted kilt doesn't need a belt of hold it up. If your new kilt is a bit loose, then seek a belt.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    Welcome. Here's what I did. I did lurk for a while building my knowledge base.
    O.C. Richard's thread on sporrans gives great insight for buying a quality sporran. Read it, pay attention and then one can shop Ebay, Etsy or even Amazon with an eye for quality. There are sporran deals that pop up even on shopgoodwill.com. Take your time- you've go a few weeks before you need it.
    I'd also not worry a great deal about the belt/buckle. If you've been paying attention, a properly fitted kilt doesn't need a belt of hold it up. If your new kilt is a bit loose, then seek a belt.

This is perfect, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add my 2 cents here as well, for a start a lot of what you already have can worn with the kilt, your shirts and jumpers, (sweaters) will do fine. As has been said you don't need a belt, you don't need a kilt pin. I like a kilt pin but you've got time for that. So what I think you need are a good pair of kilt hose, and a quality sporran. My first sporran was my Dad's old one made in 1950 it still serves me well to this day. Buy the best you can afford and it will outlive you. My oldest jacket and waistcoat are from 1894 so in all of this go for quality over quantity. So for kilt hose I would suggest House of Cheviot

https://www.houseofcheviot.com/highland-hose-c5

One word of advice, there are many colours out there please don't stick to white.

As for sporrans Look for at the Quality Sporrans for Less thread here:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...67#post1391667

Go on to Ebay and see what you can find.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you like it here.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt pins are a pretty modern invention, only about 125 years and apparently the creation of Queen Victoria. They are decorative items that do not have a practical function. I have 5 currently, but only wear one or two with any regularity. You'll eventually pick up some to add specific flair, but they are far from de rigueur.

A couple pairs of kilt hose and garters or flashes are priority items. They serve to dress up your outfits as well as keep your feet and legs warm in colder weather. You'd be surprised just how warm your legs will be with some good wool hose. Typically avoid stark white, as many associate it with rental wear or uniformed newbies. My preference is for knitted garter ties. The history, fashion aspect, and the simple fact that I can make my own custom pairs in a couple hours for a pittance. Red is also the go to traditional standard color for most kilts, rather than tartan.

A sporran is of even greater need than hose and flashes/garters. It is your pocket for wallet, phone, etc. and as a symbol to the uniformed that you are not a man in a skirt, but a noble highlander in a distinguished, manly KILT!! (cue "Scotland the Brave"). Most of the inexpensive $60 leather day sporrans would be perfectly useable and acceptable for a new kilter. If you want the most technical utility, then you have hair sporrans and full mask fur sporrans, which (again) technically have precedent for covering every possible social situation. But they are usually much more expensive and far too ostentatious for today's daily life.

Most of the advertisers here stock these most important essentials. Other possibilities exist through ebay, but I recommend sticking to preowned sporrans or a Royal Regiment of Scotland surplus leather one. A lot of the 'New' options there can be chintzy low quality imports from China, Pakistan, and India.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of sporrans - apart from OCR's great thread (referred to above) it's also worth keeping an eye on some of kilt outfitters sites for sales and offers.

MacGregor and MacDuff are fairly well-regarded and apart from their main site (https://macgregorandmacduff.co.uk) they have also have an ebay store: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/macgregor...88.m1543.l2754 - and currently have some ex-display sporrans for sale, as well as good offers on ex-hire jackets etc and some other clearance items.

Another option is Margaret Morrison https://morrison-sporrans.co.uk/ - they have a wide range of designs and make some great sporrans. Not always cheap (but as they supply many other outlets, it's usually cheaper to go to source) - their sporting range starts at £21 and they have some other daywear sporrans from £55... worth a look, if only for inspiration.

Happy hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will also attest to OCRs sporran thread. It has some great insight on what to look for in a good sporran and helped me to find a great vintage day sporran on Etsy.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bakuda For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that the two must-have items are a sporran (with a strap to hold it up) and some good kilt hose.

House of Cheviot is certainly a reliable source of good socks. And I agree that exploring the wide world of color options will help you find our own style, and look good along the way.

Pretty much any web site selling kilts will have socks as well. So visiting a few of the advertisers here will give you a range of colors, prices, and materials to think about.

Richard's thread is a great source. And getting a good basic leather day sporran is the place to start. A furry dress sporran is probably not as pressing, although there will be times when you want one. I got mine from Stillwater Kilts, and the price was very reasonable.

The shirts, shoes, ties, and so on that you already wear will work fine. When you need to get dressed up, you will need a kilt-specific jacket and/or vest. Also, if you want to cover your head, there are specific bonnets that are traditional with a kilt, although many kinds of headgear can work (baseball caps are often frowned upon, while the flat driving cap is the subject of divided opinion on this forum).

But you will find the kilt is stylish, comfortable, and a magnetic for ladies. Wear it with pride.

Happy kilting!
    Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 3rd April 21 at 06:26 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast