X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiking Hadrians wall

at least virtually. We joined a waking program called conqueror challenge which offers various hikes around the world. My wife and I decided it would be fun to do as a family so invited the grandkids to join. It is a paid service with medals for completion and (the part that excited my grandkids) they plant trees. I posted a picture of most of the team from a hike we did 2 years ago in grand teton national park. I've visited once before but hiking it for real would be cool although I doubt I'll ever be able to visit long enough to do the whole thing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6229a800.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	39910

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had also seen this challenge and thought it was a wonderful idea. Not enough that I stepped up-yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

friendly warning

We are doing the teams and with a large group that works better for the longer trails. Hadrians is 90 miles and between 7 people in 2 days we are already over half way there. The grandkids are excited about it and although they don't need to be taught to be active it is just a fun family get together in this time of solo life. I am enjoying it and my second daughter didn't join our group (we'd have finished in a couple of days but she did sign up for the Appalachian trail solo. She's a runner (a few months ago she did a 50 miler) You can also set up your own trail I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    I had also seen this challenge and thought it was a wonderful idea. Not enough that I stepped up-yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those little Pokémon kilts? That is amazing. The kids look like they love them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakuda View Post
    Are those little Pokémon kilts? That is amazing. The kids look like they love them!
    Yes. Each time we've seen the grandkids for a special event we've let them pick their clan. First year was dinosaur, then super heros and last time pokemon. I made pokeball sporrans for everybody but one. He wanted a raccoon.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    Yes. Each time we've seen the grandkids for a special event we've let them pick their clan. First year was dinosaur, then super heros and last time pokemon. I made pokeball sporrans for everybody but one. He wanted a raccoon.
    I second this being amazing . I just ordered the first kilts for my kids (3,5,7) and made clear they could pick their tartan (USA Kilts). 1 Stewart, 2 'Albannach'...all picked based on favorite colors. And belt buckles followed the same: Roses, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and indeed, Pokemon.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MurrayInGA For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayInGA View Post
    I second this being amazing . I just ordered the first kilts for my kids (3,5,7) and made clear they could pick their tartan (USA Kilts). 1 Stewart, 2 'Albannach'...all picked based on favorite colors. And belt buckles followed the same: Roses, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and indeed, Pokemon.
    sounds great. I remember teasing my kids when they were little by calling their favorite pokemon pee-on-shoes. Now a new generation and it is still popular.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at least virtually. We joined a waking program called conqueror challenge which offers various hikes around the world. My wife and I decided it would be fun to do as a family so invited the grandkids to join. It is a paid service with medals for completion and (the part that excited my grandkids) they plant trees. I posted a picture of most of the team from a hike we did 2 years ago in grand teton national park. I've visited once before but hiking it for real would be cool although I doubt I'll ever be able to visit long enough to do the whole thing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6229a800.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	39910

I hiked Hadrian's Wall for real in 2017, and then virtually (same Conqueror Challenge) you're doing now earlier this year. It was fun getting the postcards on the virtual walk which spurred memories of seeing them in person.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
    I hiked Hadrian's Wall for real in 2017, and then virtually (same Conqueror Challenge) you're doing now earlier this year. It was fun getting the postcards on the virtual walk which spurred memories of seeing them in person.
    In one of my few visits I did visit Hadrians wall by driving it. We picked it from the hikes because it was nice to see the street vision and also share the pictures I had taken on that trip and celtic themed (or at least keep the celts aways from us by the romans. We are doing the Appalachian trail now because with 5 grand kids who do a lot of hiking, biking, walking and sports and my wife we went through Hadrians wall in like 7 days so we wanted to give everyone a chance to do one which will take some efforts.
    I am thinking of either ring road in ireland or more probably ring road Iceland because I can add some stone lifts at the appropriate place in Iceland.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In one of my few visits I did visit Hadrians wall by driving it. We picked it from the hikes because it was nice to see the street vision and also share the pictures I had taken on that trip and celtic themed (or at least keep the celts aways from us by the romans. We are doing the Appalachian trail now because with 5 grand kids who do a lot of hiking, biking, walking and sports and my wife we went through Hadrians wall in like 7 days so we wanted to give everyone a chance to do one which will take some efforts.
    I am thinking of either ring road in ireland or more probably ring road Iceland because I can add some stone lifts at the appropriate place in Iceland.
    Drove portions of Hadrian's Wall twice before we hiked it. We only walked the middle 40+ miles. Two members of our group had limited time so we decided to walk the best of the Wall, and tour the 20 miles or so at the beginning and end of the Wall - we stopped off at the beginning and end points, and visited the few ruins to be found, as well as a nice museum/fort ruins in Newcastle. This also allowed us to spend more time at the more significant ruins and museums found along the Wall. We also spent a day touring Border Reiver sites before putting our friends on a train to Edinburgh.

I've driven the Ring of Kerry several times, and part of the ring road in Iceland. You'd enjoy both.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast