X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information Houston Kiltmakers Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt appearance on "MacGyver" (by Henry Ian Cusick)

I don't normally watch this show but it happened to be on my telly this evening, and I perked up when I saw one of the characters in a kilt. Actor Henry Ian Cusick actually did a better-than-usual (for Hollywood) job of representing the kilt. The context appeared to be a guest at a wedding, with both daytime and evening activities.

His entire outfit seemed generally appropriate for the affair, if a tad on the boring side. While it seemed highly influenced by hire company fashion and modern trends, it didn't grossly violate tradition as is often done for television. He was wearing a black Argyll jacket with silver buttons and matching waistcoat, black necktie (four-in-hand knot, it appeared), plain white shirt with standard collar, hunting sporran with bright metal cantle, black hose with flashes, and ghillie brogues. The kilt seemed to be a grey-and-black sort of fashion tartan (one of those granite tartans or some such). I was pleased to see him wearing it at the tops of his knees, which is rare in the media these days.

Apparently he was masquerading as someone named MacTavish, so I would have thought he should wear an actual clan tartan with some colour to it. Nothing makes the iconic kilt more boring than a monochrome outfit. But still, at least we didn't see him wearing a PC with a wing collar, fly plaid, white hose, or other silliness. Honestly, the only things I think he could have improved would be switching to a traditional clan tartan kilt and ditching the ubiquitous sword kilt pin, coloured hose with garter ties, and standard brogues. As for the rest, I say well done. I'm guessing his Scottish background played a large part in how he chose to wear it, rather than letting the costume people muck it up like they usually do.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post: