X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Hose Addiction

I think this is becoming a bit of a habit…

I am a big fan of the diced cuffed hose as worn by Prince Charles.

I have 4 pairs of custom knit hose from Anne Stewart Knitwear http://www.annestewartknitwear.com/kilt_hose.html (one isn’t picture as they are in the wash).

The pair without the diced cuff were made to compliment a tweed jacket. I have also found a range of felted tweed yarn which I think works really well with kilt hose. At £32 a pair they are cheaper than House of Cheviot (HoC), so still thinking about new ideas.

I also quite like those worn by James MacFarlane in this print. I have seen Steve post some pictures of hose with contrast tops.

Not sure if they look too much like rugby socks - but perhaps, a pair in ancient red and ancient blue (similar to those in the print) would work - but do I stick with the plain cuff (as pictured) or go with a diced cuff (blue on red to match the leg) - or would that be too much?

I am also thinking at giving Bonnie Tartan a try https://bonnietartan.com/product/tartan-cuff-hose/

I like the tartan cuff they do and think this could be a good option for one of my kilts which is a very unusual mix of olive green, with charcoal and cream or maybe even my SRU tartan. Although at £65 they are a bit more pricey than Anne’s work.

In terms of off-the-shelf, I also quite like these HoC hose (bespoke to 8 Yards and the Kilt Shop) https://www.8yards.co.uk - the black and white is probably the pick of the bunch for me. They are £45 but sometimes they have them on discount - so worth keeping an eye on.

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you like patterned hose tops then far be it for me to comment on your choice. However, personally I find them an unnecessary expense particularly as I also wear my kilt hose with my plus 4's where the hose tops cannot be seen. So for me I think generally and particularly for day attire, patterned hose tops and patterned hose with the kilt, fit into the "trying too hard" catigory.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th April 21 at 04:26 AM. Reason: foun my glasses
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well, if you like patterned hose tops
    Indeed I do - but each to their own.

Oddly enough I don't particular care for the more heavily patterned shooting socks - which I do think are a case of trying too hard - and I don't think the colours generally used are a good match with most kilts, there is just something about them that jars a little bit with me for some reason.

For daywear - I don't think the diced cuffs are OTT. Although it depends on the colours - but generally, I think most of the ones I have seen are fairly subtle.

The tartan cuff and diamond tops I would probably only wear for more formal events. I can't really see me wearing full tartan or diced hose. Even then this is more of fancy than a reality - as I'm not sure about these, your feedback is useful.

I do have plenty of plain hose. I usually prefer those by Lochcarron as I find these a good fit - others I have bought are either to baggy in the foot - or even the leg (although, as an ex-front-row forward I wouldn't say I have skinny legs by any stretch) - whilst others are too tight around the calf or just too long - and putting a tuck in the turn down makes the cuff too bulky. I think when I can pay pretty much the same for a custom pair as I can for some ready-made products, it's not much of an extravagance.
    Last edited by Tomo; 8th April 21 at 03:10 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Indeed I do - but each to their own.

Oddly enough I don't particular care for the more heavily patterned shooting socks - which I do think are a case of trying too hard - and I don't think the colours generally used are a good match with most kilts, there is just something about them that jars a little bit with me for some reason.

For daywear - I don't think the diced cuffs are OTT. Although it depends on the colours - but generally, I think most of the ones I have seen are fairly subtle.

The tartan cuff and diamond tops I would probably only wear for more formal events. I can't really see me wearing full tartan or diced hose. Even then this is more of fancy than a reality - as I'm not sure about these, your feedback is useful.

I do have plenty of plain hose. I usually prefer those by Lochcarron as I find these a good fit - others I have bought are either to baggy in the foot - or even the leg (although, as an ex-front-row forward I wouldn't say I have skinny legs by any stretch) - whilst others are too tight around the calf or just too long - and putting a tuck in the turn down makes the cuff too bulky. I think when I can pay pretty much the same for a custom pair as I can for some ready-made products, it's not much of an extravagance.
    I too am not a fan of the colour schemes of the modern day shooting hose, particularly those sold from the high class shooting shops of Bruton Street or, Cork Street and the "top of the range" establishments dotted around the UK. Cheviot hose suit me and happily interchange between uses and if treated correctly wear extremely well.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th April 21 at 04:41 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my hose on the plain side when it comes to color and pattern, but I really like the hose on the right in your picture. The argyle pattern and colors are subtle but still add something to catch the eye. Are they custom made? I didn't see them on her website.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - I went with the heavier triple line for the brown/taupe colour as I thought a single line (like the dark green) would just get lost as there is not much tonal difference between this and pale green. The main colour is a felted tweed yarn so it isn't uniform and has flecks of other other colours in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have you tried hose tops instead of a full kilt hose? they might be a better option for you if your on a budget and if your going to wear spats with them
    544BF14E-4F6F-4C24-889D-9F0FDA1C9E24.jpg
    438EF55E-4882-4E8F-B999-FA6C695798A5.jpeg
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tartan-top hose were very popular in the 1930s, they appear in all the catalogues (here in 1936)

which states that for Day Wear the hose should be plain, or plain with tartan tops.

Interestingly, I just looked over a couple hundred Victorian photos and I don't have a single one showing tartan-top plain hose, nor do they appear in The Highlanders Of Scotland.

What I do see plenty of, in Victorian photos, are hose in a wide variety of patterns that seemed to have disappeared by the early 20th century.

I also see a few pair of hose with tops in square or diamond patterns, which are still available today (here from Cheviot)

Last edited by OC Richard; 19th April 21 at 03:26 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: