X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utility of the Great Kilt

I’ve been reading about the Great Kilt, and how it served as a garment with many functions. This leads me to two questions:
    1. Why isn’t the GK worn more frequently (as opposed to what most know as a kilt, with sown-in pleats)?

2. Does the GK have a place in the modern world?

I’m guessing the answer to my first question is convenience (not hand pleating each time it is worn), but wouldn’t the increased functionality and flexibility overcome this?

As to the second, I find myself looking at those who spend the majority of their lives outdoors (the homeless, for example). Wouldn’t a garment like a GK be a catch-all solution for those continually at the mercy of the elements? While I wouldn’t relish the connection such a use would certainly engender, I can’t help but wonder if it wouldn’t be a useful application..

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    I’ve been reading about the Great Kilt, and how it served as a garment with many functions. This leads me to two questions:
    1. Why isn’t the GK worn more frequently (as opposed to what most know as a kilt, with sown-in pleats)?

2. Does the GK have a place in the modern world?

I’m guessing the answer to my first question is convenience (not hand pleating each time it is worn), but wouldn’t the increased functionality and flexibility overcome this?

As to the second, I find myself looking at those who spend the majority of their lives outdoors (the homeless, for example). Wouldn’t a garment like a GK be a catch-all solution for those continually at the mercy of the elements? While I wouldn’t relish the connection such a use would certainly engender, I can’t help but wonder if it wouldn’t be a useful application..

Thoughts?
    The Great Kilt, more correctly called the Belted Plaid or Feileadh Mor (pronounced Fay-la More), was essentially an outdoor all purpose garment. It was superceded by a separate kilt and plaid, the latter of which could be removed indoors, and later, by ever improving top coats.

Does it has a place today - only for re-enactors really.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn a great kilt a handful of times to festivals, and I can confirm that it is very impractical to wear even on a very occasional basis. If I were to wear it seriously in the future, I would insist on “cheater pleats” being sewn in to help the thing stay presentable and keep the hem and pleat width looking even.

In “So You’re Going to Wear the Kilt” Scotty Thompson writes that the Great Kilt can be worn as extra elaborate evening or levée dress, and he provides a pretty striking illustration of this with a great kilt, Sheriffmuir doublet, and badger sporran. I could see the case being made for wearing it on this kind of occasion, but it is still a huge pain to get the aprons and hem and pleats to hang evenly. A better option is described in this Matthew Newsome article:

https://albanach.org/now-thats-a-plaid-b4003e2da1f8

Barb Tewksbury is currently making a kilt for me with a plaid like Newsome describes in the same tartan. This might be the best of both worlds: it looks very much like a Great Kilt without necessitating all of the trouble trying to get the aprons and hem and pleats even around a single belt (which meanwhile needs to be EXTREMELY tight as it supports six yards of double width tartan all by itself).

I think we need to bear in mind the Great Kilt’s historical place as “do it all” clothing, bedding, tarp, etc. There is a reason most people don’t wear it today: they generally have the means to have both clothing and a sleeping bag, and necessity doesn’t make them bundle all of those functions in a single garment. A person backpacking or sleeping rough can carry an ultralight sleeping bag in a backpack rather than fussing with a great kilt every morning and setting it up as bedding every night.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The Great Kilt------------------

Exactly so.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    I have worn a great kilt a handful of times to festivals, and I can confirm that it is very impractical to wear even on a very occasional basis. If I were to wear it seriously in the future, I would insist on “cheater pleats” being sewn in to help the thing stay presentable and keep the hem and pleat width looking even.

In “So You’re Going to Wear the Kilt” Scotty Thompson writes that the Great Kilt can be worn as extra elaborate evening or levée dress, and he provides a pretty striking illustration of this with a great kilt, Sheriffmuir doublet, and badger sporran. I could see the case being made for wearing it on this kind of occasion, but it is still a huge pain to get the aprons and hem and pleats to hang evenly. A better option is described in this Matthew Newsome article:

Barb Tewksbury is currently making a kilt for me with a plaid like Newsome describes in the same tartan. This might be the best of both worlds: it looks very much like a Great Kilt without necessitating all of the trouble trying to get the aprons and hem and pleats even around a single belt (which meanwhile needs to be EXTREMELY tight as it supports six yards of double width tartan all by itself).

I think we need to bear in mind the Great Kilt’s historical place as “do it all” clothing, bedding, tarp, etc. There is a reason most people don’t wear it today: they generally have the means to have both clothing and a sleeping bag, and necessity doesn’t make them bundle all of those functions in a single garment. A person backpacking or sleeping rough can carry an ultralight sleeping bag in a backpack rather than fussing with a great kilt every morning and setting it up as bedding every night.
    Thank you for the article and thoughtful response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The Great Kilt, more correctly called the Belted Plaid or Feileadh Mor (pronounced Fay-la More), was essentially an outdoor all purpose garment. It was superceded by a separate kilt and plaid, the latter of which could be removed indoors, and later, by ever improving top coats.

I hadn’t considered top coats as a replacement for the removed plaid, but that makes sense, thank you.

So in your opinion (for non re-enactors), it come off as trying too hard? Silly? Merely an impractical anachronism?

I saw Jock Scot weigh in as well, how would you describe the thought behind your opinion?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    ----------

I saw Jock Scot weigh in as well, how would you describe the thought behind your opinion?
    Speaking solely for myself. How about 8 decades of kilt wearing experience ------and thought----- in the Highlands of Scotland? I think that that might give you a clue on the considerable thought that goes into forming my opinion.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post

I'm a reenactor as well as a wearer of a modern kilt, and I can testify that the great big great kilt can be cumbersome; on the other hand, I've worn it comfortably enough throughout long days. I usually cheat by wearing a modern belt - very tight, as RichardtheLarge notes - to hold the pleats and aprons in place. This is completely covered by the drape of the fabric. Then I wear a historical belt more visibly, to hang my pouch and weapons from.
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have trouble understanding why anyone would want to appear in public wearing something that is cumbersome, and whose practicality has been eclipsed by centuries of development, evolution, improvement and societal development, unless it were to a costumed or historical re-enactment event.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Speaking solely for myself. How about 8 decades of kilt wearing experience ------and thought----- in the Highlands of Scotland? I think that that might give you a clue on the considerable thought that goes into forming my opinion.
    Only 80 years of wearing the kilt in the Highlands, and you think you’re qualified to give an option? 🤣

Thank you for your input!

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast