X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalesLax View Post
    I assure you that the moment I open my mouth, that branding would be confirmed.

I don't disagree with you, but like I said, it's the other place I would consider wearing it. I don't have to, but I would.

Rob
    I don't have to, and I wouldn't.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    We on X Marks are often derided on other sites as being too traditional and stuck-up about how we dress.
    If I wanted to look sloppy and disheveled in a Kilt, I don't think I would need any advice!

Dave

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    We on X Marks are often derided on other sites as being too traditional and stuck-up about how we dress.

OK, I can see that. Fine, there is room in this world for all types and styles.

I do often wish that there were others like myself on the forum who are not into wearing kilts for the history and heritage aspect. But by this time I'm pretty used to dressing my way and being the only one. I get to be looked down upon by the "uber-traditionalists" and the "uber-macho" groups equally.

But at least I present my myself in public with a bit of pride in how I look and with respect to the lady next to me. And in all honesty, I feel that that is what makes X Marks different, unique and why I like our community.
    Steve, I have to agree.

When XMTS is mentioned on other forums it is considered quite traditional with history and heritage playing a major role. Also, that those wearing their kilts for these reasons might seem to dominate it.

But, as a matter of fact, I think there are many members out there, to whom history and heritage play little or no role at all, simply because they, like me and you, as I understand it, do not have Scottish roots. We are just wearing our kilts for comfort, difference, variety, versatility, looks, and the difference it makes. How else could it be?

The kilt being to us a wonderful garment rather than part of our heritage implies that we may not follow "rules" in detail but are let by taste. Taste is not always good. That we know by just looking around.
    The strange thing is, that when it is about men in jeans or shorts or a bad fitting business suit, we don’t care, and we don’t think we should address the problem and give advice. How come then that it is so bad, seeing a man wearing a cheap kilt, maybe in a wrong way? And even, like in this tread, be called disrespecting the kilt.
    Do I disrespect blue jeans, and even the American people, if I wear ugly ones? Do I disrespect the kilt if I am not wearing a sporran, or my Hugo Boss polo shirt is not tucked in?

Having no Scottish events to attend to me kilt wearing is casual-first. Must be. And according to what I think is good taste. Having no Scottish roots, I should consider it dishonest, should I, a Dane, pretend to be Scottish. My aim is to be considered just a man in a kilt.

I have been away from this forum but have recently come back. I think it is a great one, with so many wise and good contributions, showing great enthusiasm. And knowing about rules is certainly not a bad thing. At least then you know when you are breaking them.
    Greg

Kilted for comfort, difference, look, variety and versatility

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to GG For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this thread when it first went up, and wrote a rather hasty reply. When reviewing, I thought better of it. While I agree, slovenly or disheveled kilts look particularly bad, I didn't feel right chiming in about it.

I'm a member a couple of different forums, one of which is for folks who like a certain brand of pocket knives. This particular brand of pocket knives has innovated quite a bit in the last 40 years, enough that many competitors have imitated them. The founder of the company, and chief innovator, is active on the forum. For the first few years of the forum, it was common for some folks to deride other competing companies for imitating (or outright copying) the founder's work.

About 15 years ago, he asked members of the forum to remove taglines and signatures which derided the competitors. He told an anecdote about trying to "leave shiny footprints," wherever he went, and asked us to follow that example. It's been a remarkably successful "guideline" on that forum ever since.

I've benefited quite a bit from the wisdom and generosity of the folks on the XMarks forum. While I can't repay it to those who are well beyond me, I'll do my best to pass on the favor to those who could benefit, or are interested, and do my best to "simply scroll past" something I find irksome.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 18th April 21 at 05:02 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have, to the best of my knowledge, not an ounce of Scottish blood in me. I wear a kilt because I love the comfort, style, appearance, and difference. I have a deep affection for Scotland.

I am well aware that I am 'borrowing' what is considered someone else's heritage and national dress. That is uppermost in my mind and I try hard to not dishonor what is not mine. I have a PhD in being scruffy, but when kilted I am smartly turned out. The shoes are always clean and polished, and great trouble is taken to look right.

That being said, we are all different and we plow our own furrows. I am happy with what I do, but I would not put down someone who has an outlook on life that does not match mine.
    I am a traditionalist with no hint at all of Scottish ancestry, but with a love of the kilt.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to xpc316e For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fair answer, but in truth I cannot see a Scot in the normal course of events, donning the kilt just to visit a distillery, unless they are in the tourist industry. It would brand you on first sight and second sight as a tourist not a Scot.
    Yes indeed. A certain other kilt forum held a gathering in Glasgow in 2019 and I arranged a visit to the new Clydeside Distillery. We definitely stood out from the crowd, all the men kilted, me as tour guide and the others as tourists.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123