X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Any word yet?

Hybrid View

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any word yet?

Steve,

Is there any word yet on when your book will be available for purchase? We have been looking forward to it.

Thanks,
    Stoff

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stoff,

I know that you are one of those who have wanted a copy of "The Hand-Crafted Contemporary Kilt" for a while. And I'm sorry. It is all but written.

But due to the comments and reception that my concept of, and what I still believe is, the next evolution of the kilt, I don't think that my book would find a wide enough audience to cover the cost of printing.

When the Utilitkilt came out it was all the rage. Over 100 small companies sprang up making anything from direct knock-offs to other very inventive, but similar items.
    Very few are left today.

By the time I had the Contemporary style kilt fully fleshed out and proven, the kilt world had changed.

21st Century is still successful because he caters to the wealthy and famous.

One notable exception to the change in the kilt world is USA Kilts. Rocky is a consummate businessman.

The other options with kilts are either staying with the high end, what is called traditional styling, or are out-sourcing their product, or have gone by the wayside.

Only one other kilt shop has retained the essence of my development. And I trained them in my shop. But they wanted to go in uber-macho direction. Lower end, tactical styling, P/V, Box Pleats but with my pockets and my way of setting the waist height. But that shop is primarily relying on the sale of accessories to stay open.

I closed my shop and retired at exactly the right time. One month before the first cases of Covid in N. America.
    Since then I have gone on to different things and different interests.

I'm actually making more money manufacturing and selling the yarn winder that I developed for the hand cranked sock knitting machines, than I ever did making kilts.

I am actually having a lot more fun making custom kilt hose that I did listening to the criticism from the traditional kilt makers. The week each year I would spend teaching Contemporary kiltmaking at Kilt Kamp and the atmosphere became more and more toxic. It was not any fun any more.

So right now my book is sitting on a thumb drive. I have not worked on it at all during this period of Covid and I am finding that I have less and less interest in ever printing it.

I wish I had a finished copy that I could just give you. If you wish to make a kilt I suggest buying Barb's book and making a real kilt.
    The posers like myself will just slink off into obscurity.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to see this, Steve. I've watched you work. Those are REAL kilts. No slinking please. You're still the Wizard.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion would be to finish it and make it available here in digital form. I would pay a few shekels for it. I already have barb's book. and would like to see how you make a contemporary kilt. I take classes as a hobby to learn new things and I would like to hear what you have to say about kiltmaking.
    tact is the ability to tell someone to go the hell in such a way they look forward to the trip Winston Churchill

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to uncle remus For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the ideas was to make my book available as a digital copy, or on a thumb drive, as both a word document and a pdf.

A person pays for the book and I mail them the thumb drive if they prefer, or send a link to where it is stored on the web.

The original idea was to print copies that were similarly spiral bound like Barb's book that lay flat.

I had my 20 year old, Chinese lathe die on me and the part that failed would cost more to remake that the machine was worth. So I broke down and bought a new lathe/mill with DRO.
    I am having so much fun with this thing that I should be locked up.

(yes, I'm in blue jeans. You don't play with spinning machinery in loose clothing.)

I am having so much fun working to tolerances of up to .001".
    I've even bought a powder coating set-up and a laser engraver.

I have a batch of winders that just must go out. They are all paid for and customers are waiting.

Maybe I'll spend a few evenings on the book if I can keep awake.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 14th April 21 at 07:41 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider putting it out in PDF form where you could send buyers the download information. I wrote a sailing book a while back which was published hard-cover, but I also have a PDF copy on my computer. The book has 265 pages and hundreds of full color illustrations, but the entire thing in PDF format is only about 28 megabytes, so it could be sent pretty easily and quickly. Image quality in PDF form is super clean and zoom-able if needed.

The world needs more high quality and interesting construction manuals, even those for uncommon subjects. There is also a certain enjoyment in knowing that after you are gone and after all the products you built over the years have lived their useful lives and gone away, the book can still exist as instruction and inspiration for an entirely new audience.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Stoff,
    One notable exception to the change in the kilt world is USA Kilts. Rocky is a consummate businessman.
    So are you.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also one who would be willing to buy the book in either form.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be new here, but even as one who has barely scratched the surface, I know there is value in this book. If any version of this sees the light of day, please add me to the list of folks who will gladly pay for it.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t all the details, but a friend of mine is a writer who has most of his published works on Amazon as Kindle books. He self-published all of them in digital form only to save money. Maybe that is an option? I for one would certainly be interested.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post: