X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, great replies from everyone!!! Now I guess I will have to take some time to consider if I will go for a wool secondhand (providing I can find a 40"waist/24"height, that seems quite dificult) or a brand new one in PV.

You're all an awesome pool of information. Thanks!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more option for you.

My latest kilt was from Lynne Ward in Glasgow. She does great work for very reasonable price. I paid about $300 for mine, made to my custom measurements. You can find pics of my kilt (and others from her) on this thread here.

When business is slow, she makes up kilts in common sizes, and sells them on eBay for even more reasonable prices.

Here's a Colquhoun Ancient in your size for about $200, which may be a touch more than you want to spend. Watch her page though, or maybe get in touch with her. Sometimes she sells low-yardage kilts for as little as $120 or so, and she currently has this 8-yard which is slightly too small for you, listed for just $165.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWeild View Post
    Wow, great replies from everyone!!! Now I guess I will have to take some time to consider if I will go for a wool secondhand (providing I can find a 40"waist/24"height, that seems quite dificult) or a brand new one in PV.

You're all an awesome pool of information. Thanks!!!
    Actually, that is a pretty common size on the used and ex-hire market. For example Claymore Imports have a lot of ex-hire kilts that are pretty close to you measurements. However, they do start a little about your stated price. I have purchased from them and have liked what I bought. I have also had good luck on the various charity auction sites.

https://claymoreimports.com/clearance/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after some extensive research, asking some second hand stores without success, looking for used eBay kilts, waiting for an email reply from USA Kilts and all, I've ended buying a Black Stewart 8 yards Deluxe Kilt from Heritage of Scotland. It was a spring sale, so the kilt price was lowered at a funny £29.99. No way to miss that chance.

It's sold as "8 yards, 16oz heavy weight Poly-Viscose with double fringe on the apron and extra deep pleat", and while I don't have experience with PV, I'm quite sure it's doesn't feels like 16oz (and for that price, not even PV) but it's a well constructed kilt for the price with actually 27 deep pleats. It doesn't feels (and I never expected) like my old 8 yards 16oz wool kilt, but it has a nice swish and after some hours the pleats are still in place without noticeable wrinkles. I don't know if it has a stabilizer, but it has a liner, and again it's well constructed for the price.

I will test it outdoors tonight while walking the dog, and will see how warm it's at 53°F.

I will be posting updates about how the kilt withstand the test of time, as it may be helpful for someone with a low budget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12