X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experience with Wool Blend kilts

Hi,
    new member here, a border and highland piper from the far Buenos Aires. In my pipe band years I've worn our band's kilt (traditional, 8 yards, handmade woolen kilt) but after I left the band I'm kiltless and without means to afford something like that.

After some research I've found the PV kilts with a reputable dealer (USA Kilts) and also the Wool Blend kilts by The Celtic Croft. Did anyone here has experience with the acrylic wool blend? I would like to know how warm they are, if they start to form pills after some time, and overall experiences. If there is any user with experience wearing both PV kilts and wool blends, any comparison between them will be appreciated too.

Thank you all!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands. I'm not able to answer your question, but hopefully you will get many replies from people more knowledgeable than myself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands. I'm not able to answer your question, but hopefully you will get many replies from people more knowledgeable than myself!
    Thank you for your welcome!!!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JWeild For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, from California!

Do you have a set budget in mind? If we know your budget, we might be better able to recommend a "best bang for your buck" kilt option. Generally with kilts, you get what you pay for, and if you can save up over time to buy something nicer, you'll be happier in the long run.

I have two "Casual Kilts" from USA Kilts, which are made with PolyViscose tartan from Marton Mills. MM is based in Yorkshire in the UK. The PV tartan is a 12 oz twill, holds up well over time, comes with a stain-resistant teflon coating, and is machine-washable. It's a nice option for warm weather, or casual outings, and the cost is between $100-150 USD. If you can spend more like $220, their Semi-Traditional kilt is made more like a 5-yard wool kilt, while still using Marton Mills PV Tartan. If you can spend more like $300, their 5-yard wool kilt is an excellent option.

Acrylic/Wool blends do tend to pill. Acrylic doesn't breathe as well as wool, so it is warmer for its weight. On the plus side, it might look a bit more like a wool kilt than PV, if it's made well.

One thing you might consider is finding yourself a secondhand or vintage kilt. You can save a lot of money and still get nice, heirloom-quality clothing that way. MinistryOfTaran.com is one option, but a lot of folks have luck on eBay also.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Texas!
    KD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Welcome, from California!

Do you have a set budget in mind?

Acrylic/Wool blends do tend to pill. Acrylic doesn't breathe as well as wool, so it is warmer for its weight. On the plus side, it might look a bit more like a wool kilt than PV, if it's made well.

One thing you might consider is finding yourself a secondhand or vintage kilt. You can save a lot of money and still get nice, heirloom-quality clothing that way. MinistryOfTaran.com is one option, but a lot of folks have luck on eBay also.
    Thanks for the input and welcome! I can stretch to USD 150, I know it's a low budget. I wasn't aware of a secondhand kilt market but it's a great idea and Ministry of Tartan has great prices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWeild View Post
    Thanks for the input and welcome! I can stretch to USD 150, I know it's a low budget. I wasn't aware of a secondhand kilt market but it's a great idea and Ministry of Tartan has great prices.
    Hey, that's a great budget man, and a-ok. We've all got to live within our means.

The nice thing about kilts (and highlander in general) is that the good stuff, made in Scotland, will last a lifetime. I've purchased quite a bit of my highlandwear second-hand, and am very pleased with the quality. Celtic Vintage Finds is a great little Scottish Etsy shop with really awesome prices. They don't have the largest inventory, but if you're patient you'll find some incredible deals. eBay is another great option, specifically eBay.co.uk.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to buy everything all at once. Buy the best kilt you can afford, and it'll last a long time. You can add on little things like jackets, belts, sporrans over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like said already in this thread, wool blend kilts tend to pill, some much more than others, however. About two years ago I wanted to find out, how much of a kilt you could get for 25 GBP/35 USD and ordered a “Value kilt” from Tartanista.

Pleats were not sewn down (that I knew from pictures), sewing quality was miserable, and after a few outings the fabric started to pill.

My conclusion, should you buy this non-value Value kilt:
    ALWAYS wear a belt – because some day the kilt will otherwise disgrace you.
    NEVER wear a sporran with this kilt.

Durable ready-made kilts are Persevere kilts from Kilt Society. They are 60 GBP/84 USD.

But I think it is worth paying 36 USD more to get a USA Kilts Casual.

Kilt Society Persevere kilt, thistle blue

USA Kilts Casual American Heritage tartan

USA Kilts Casual American Heritage tartan

Tartanista Value kilt
    Greg

Kilted for comfort, difference, look, variety and versatility

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GG For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the first time I can speak with some authority to a question asked. I own a USA Kilts Casual Kilt, 2 acrylic kilts and a Claymore Imports wool kilt. As I am sure you are aware, the wool kilt is by far the best. The USA Kilts Casual Kilts looks, hangs and swings well. It is also put together very well and is rugged. However PV feels very different than wool. It might be a good idea to get a sample so you know what I'm talking about. That being said, I am still very happy with my purchase and will buy from them again.

The two acrylic kilts I own where bought at thrift stores for $6 each on separate occasions. Acrylic does have more of the look and feel of wool, but if you know the difference, nobody would mistake them. While they were very good deals and I still own and wear them, I feel they are too fragile and would not consider buying another one at retail unless I did not plan to wear it often.

There is always the used and ex-hire market. That is where I got my Claymore Imports wool kilt for around what you budget is. It was for all intents and purposes, new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    Durable ready-made kilts are Persevere kilts from Kilt Society. They are 60 GBP/84 USD.
    My 13oz 5yd IoS is from them. They were running a sale so I ordered one, got 10% off because it was my first order with them and they threw in matching flashes. $297 USD which included shipping. Great deal and their customer service is excellent. They no longer sell wool kilts, just their Persevere kilts which are a PV/rayon blend.

Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    But I think it is worth paying 36 USD more to get a USA Kilts Casual.
    That may be true. There are a lot of USA Kilt fans here that sing their praises. I've never ordered from them but I probably would just based on the feedback here on X.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast