X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

LANCER1562 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaning a kilt jacket at home

Has anyone tried cleaning their kilt jacket at home rather than taking it to a professional dry cleaner? If so, how did you do it and how did it turn out? I have a Saxon jacket that was converted to a kilt jacket that has been in storage for about 4years and is a bit musty.
    Last edited by LANCER1562; 18th April 21 at 07:16 PM.
    Robert
    Member of: S.W.E.A.R.S., Steel Bonnets, Flat Cap Confederation, SMALL, KABOOM, K.O.O.P.S, Law Dawgz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the material? You mean the ones that say "Dry Clean Only"?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

LANCER1562 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a suit jacket that I had converted to a kilt jacket. I'm not exactly sure what material it's made out of. It does have a tag that says Dry Clean Only. Someone on Facebook suggested Dryell.
    Last edited by LANCER1562; 18th April 21 at 05:45 PM.
    Robert
    Member of: S.W.E.A.R.S., Steel Bonnets, Flat Cap Confederation, SMALL, KABOOM, K.O.O.P.S, Law Dawgz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LANCER1562 View Post
    I have a suit jacket that I had converted to a kilt jacket. I'm not exactly sure what material it's made out of. It does have a tag that says Dry Clean Only. Someone on Facebook suggested Dryell.
    Without knowing the material, it would be difficult to suggest a cleaning method. Unless you have great confidence in your Facebook source or are willing to forfeit your jacket, I would indeed resort to the cleaners.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the jacket was a thrift store find and hasn't been worn in years, I don't think I'd be losing much. I will look at the tag to see what it's made out of tomorrow and let you know what I find out.
    Robert

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LANCER1562 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its just smelling "musty" put it on a coat hanger and hang it from the nearest tree on a couple of dry breezy days and hope.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th April 21 at 07:34 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A light spray from an atomiser might freshen it up considerably.

If there are any marks then a heavier spray using warm water with a small amount of detergent should help - ordinary hair shampoo is good for most fabrics. and pressing an absorbent cloth onto the place should help to draw out stains. Put a pad of cloth against it on the inside before pressing, so you don't push the stain through several layers.

If there are shiny areas a light going over with a damp sponge should help reduce them - but it should be a very light brushing just to raise the nap.

These are all techniques used by older generations but they seem to have faded from the memory of most people now that fabrics are so much more easily washed.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post: