X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovat Green Jacket Pairings

I've been wanting a Lovat Green jacket for awhile now. I've only ever bought second hand jackets, but on Tomo's advice I found this Pale Green Checked Crail Jacket set on sale at McCalls, and finally took the plunge. It arrived here in California within a week, and I'm very pleased with it. They may not have marketed it as Lovat Green, but it is similarly toned and heathered - close enough for me, and the price was close to impossible to beat. I've heard that Lovat Green really goes with everything, and man, does it. To demonstrate the versatility, and because I had nothing better to do this afternoon, here's a selection with my wool kilts, including a closeup of my favorite pairing, Fraser of Lovat in Wilson's Colors.

Fraser of Lovat, Wilson's Colors from Marton Mills
    6 - gVgMbbK.jpg

Government 1a, courtesy the RRS
    5 - 0qoEGlR.jpg

Fraser Green Gathering, House of Edgar
    4 - u1Oro4J.jpg

Fraser Hunting Weathered, Lochcarron
    3 - gvXeHg8.jpg

Fraser Red Ancient, Lochcarron
    2 - es70uKv.jpg

Niagara Region, Lochcarron
    1 - ThkSBVW.jpg

Here's the closeup:
    7 - 9Q6Wb6F.jpg

I think the only pairing I question is the Fraser Green Gathering - I might prefer my charcoal jacket there.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That jacket looks great with all of them. Great purchase.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glen is bang on. If you dont mind me saying, "you are fussing unnecessarily over non existent detail".
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both, the more I look at it the more I agree with you both.

Finally had a chance to wear the jacket today, it was about 50° F out for my morning dog walk, and I was pretty comfortable.

175424376_10164931852510510_3333195111021137780_n.jpg

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I see going on with the Fraser Green Gathering combined with that jacket is similarity of scale.

I know close up it's not really like this, but at a distance that tartan resembles a dark green field with a light-coloured over-check that's a bit smaller than the over-check of the jacket, the overall effect being of two checked garments worn together.

Note that the same pattern-clash doesn't happen with Black Watch due to the Black Watch's over-check (as it were) being far bigger than the over-check of the jacket.

Or with the other tartans due to the overall effect being of a checked garment worn with a tartan garment.

The test of my idea would be to try a plain Lovat Green jacket with the Fraser Green Gathering kilt. That would probably prove that it's not the colour of the jacket, but its pattern, that's causing the visual clash.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th April 21 at 03:04 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    The thing I see going on with the Fraser Green Gathering combined with that jacket is similarity of scale.

I know close up it's not really like this, but at a distance that tartan resembles a dark green field with a light-coloured over-check that's a bit smaller than the over-check of the jacket, the overall effect being of two checked garments worn together.
    Richard, I appreciate your insight here, as ever. A very astute observation.

When I first saw a tattersall with a kilt, I was surprised how well it worked. Someone wiser than me pointed out that while the patterns are similar, they work because they're quite different in scale. Now, it's my favorite combination.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Note that the same pattern-clash doesn't happen with Black Watch due to the Black Watch's over-check (as it were) being far bigger than the over-check of the jacket.

Or with the other tartans due to the overall effect being of a checked garment worn with a tartan garment.

The test of my idea would be to try a plain Lovat Green jacket with the Fraser Green Gathering kilt. That would probably prove that it's not the colour of the jacket, but its pattern, that's causing the visual clash.
    Good theoretical points raised there OCR, however unless the checks are really bold----loud even----- in the tweed then the tattersall phenomenon comes to the fore. At a range of say ten yards the pattern is lost and it is only when one moves closer does the pattern emerge. Of course the sharper eyed viewer will identify a pattern at longer range, but nevertheless distinct patterns are not decernanable at range. Of course the person wearing the tattersall shirt, or tweed pattern only needs to look in the mirror or look down at the sleeve of the shirt/jacket to see the pattern in all its glory, the rest of us are blessed with the pleasure of seeing the patterns coming in and out of sight as we pass by.

I honestly think that the OP is fussing unduly.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this jacket very much. My only comment, KennethSime, is that the sleeves need shortening. With this style of cuff, that's a fairly simple bit of work for someone who knows what they are doing (I'm told, because that someone definitely is not me.) OC's point is well made, but Tattersall is always a soft check and will not interfere with the lovely pattern in your jacket.

If you continue to be worried, simply fall back on a white .

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    I like this jacket very much. My only comment, KennethSime, is that the sleeves need shortening. With this style of cuff, that's a fairly simple bit of work for someone who knows what they are doing (I'm told, because that someone definitely is not me.) OC's point is well made, but Tattersall is always a soft check and will not interfere with the lovely pattern in your jacket.

If you continue to be worried, simply fall back on a white .
    Thank you very much ThistleDown, I appreciate the advice!

I think a trip to the tailor is definitely in order, whenever I can get one. I agree about the sleeves, and think the waist could be taken in a bit as well.

That's a great look one you, also. I've got to get myself a club tie one of these days.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Thank you both, the more I look at it the more I agree with you both.

Finally had a chance to wear the jacket today, it was about 50° F out for my morning dog walk, and I was pretty comfortable.

175424376_10164931852510510_3333195111021137780_n.jpg
    I think it is the pattern of the jacket is subtle enough to work with most any tattersall shirt or tartan. As Thistledown says though the sleeves need alterations. Having it altered will do wonders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast